Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXtended Reach Spark Plugs

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

EXtended Reach Spark Plugs

Any of you guys running the extended reach spark plugs? NGK ZFR6F-11

Forum has been a little dead lately so I decided to start a new topic/thread. I have been using them for the ast few years and improve the performance of the car. Alo solved the cold engine hesitation problem that I know at least early NB's had.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Re: EXtended Reach Spark Plugs

Been running that forever as well, especially in the northwest. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Oh, found a photo from my last change. Older one had 19K miles on it. Newer one is the longer reach. Check out the longer center and ground electrode in the new plug.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I am not hijacking this, but take a look at these (electrode is like a dart's point)). These are what I pulled out of the 2000 when I did the plugs a few weeks ago.

They look like no other plug I ever saw.

Anybody care to comment on what they are?
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns

Well, it's a Platinum or Iridium plug of some kind but no idea whose. The numbers on the body would indicate the manufacturer but can't see them. Looks like NGK to me but that's probably wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata
    Well, it's a Platinum or Iridium plug of some kind but no idea whose. The numbers on the body would indicate the manufacturer but can't see them. Looks like NGK to me but that's probably wrong.
    No, your right, they are NGKs
    I just didn't know thatt that was the way the platinums (or iridiums) were supposed to look. I guess that being greated conductors, they have smaller contacts?
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns

Cool. They're NGK G-Power, Laser Platinum or Iridium then.

You're actually bringing up a controversial topic that's not just Miata related. Copper is a better conductor than Platinum or Iridium. It maintains its heat and conductivity for a long time (20,000 miles for instance).

Platinum offers less conductivity, can overheat quickly but lasts longer than copper. That's why it's sometimes refered to as a "lifetime" plug and perfect for cars whose plugs are impossible to get to without having to disassemble half the motor.

Iridium lasts long like Platinum but does not overheat as much as Platinum. Iridium is the new exotic material du jour and you're really going to pay for it.

Both Platinum and Iridium are harder than copper so their electrodes are smaller, not to mention they're rare metals and very expensive.

The Miata loves copper. It runs better on copper and puts the plugs right at the top of the motor where anyone can change in a few minutes for a dollar a piece. This is one of those instances where I wholeheartedly agree where if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said. My MX5 seems to run best on the extended reach plugs. Cured my cold engine hesitation problem.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

I agree with you. Two different topics here just so the reader is clear: long reach vs. standard and copper vs. plat/iridium. Consensus is long reach is better than standard reach and copper is better than plat/iridium.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running this ones at the moment : NGK IRIDIUM IX but soon I will be running this ones : NGK BKR7EIX-11