Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cool coincidence (July 22, 2020)

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool coincidence (July 22, 2020)

A couple of days ago, I found this album for a dollar at a local animal-shelter thrift store. George Michael’s “Listen Without Prejudice” album was iconic in my 90s musical interests kicking off the new decade with “Freedom! ‘90” among others. I swore off compact discs in the 2000s so finding this one really took me back and I knew I had to have it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75DFA555-77BF-45C6-BC1F-6B356E5A5FB2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	4394

For 30 years, I've admired the cover art and always wondered where it was from. I knew it was old but that was about it so started searching for a poster print today.

Now here’s the weird part:

That photo was one of a few taken by a photographer nicknamed Weegee on Coney Island and published in the newspaper 80 years ago today!

Name:	85507E15-B756-423D-803D-9CB960AD0445.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	4398

Attachment 4396

Name:	66A35F72-3E07-4DE9-8D66-A35E7F86CEC1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	4397
    Weegee, [Afternoon crowd at Coney Island, Brooklyn], July 22, 1940

Now my interest is really piqued and I started researching a little more and found a personal account of what tens of thousands of people were doing on Coney Island 80 years ago today:

https://fansinaflashbulb.wordpress.c...king-troubles/

Yesterday at Coney Island… Temperature 89… They Came Early, Stayed Late

Cameraman Reports On Lost Kids, Parking Troubles
    Weegee, whose real name is Arthur Fellig, took this picture at four in the afternoon. The temperature was 89 degree. The Coney Island Chamber of Commerce guessed there were 1,000,000 people. Nobody really knows.

Herewith is Weegee’s own story of his visit to Coney Island.

Saturday was very hot. So I figured Sunday ought to be a good day to make crowd shots at Coney Island. I arrived at the beach at Coney at 4 a.m., Sunday. The beach was crowded mostly with young couples lying on the beach covered with blankets. I took pictures of them. When I asked them their names they all said, “It’s just me and the wife,” as they pointed to the girl on the sand. I went back to the City.

I came back Sunday afternoon. I knew the rush was on when I looked for a parking lot to leave my car. All of them were full and were charging $1 to park the car. That was too much, considering that the usual price for parking on Sunday is 15 to 25 cents.

All the blocks with the “No parking in this block” signs were filled up. I then started to look for a fire hydrant to park. They were filled up, too. After riding round for a half hour I finally parked in a fire zone just off the Boardwalk. I guess no one else thought of that spot.

“This Is Too Much!”

After making the crowd shot I went into the “Cage,” a little shack underneath the Boardwalk with the door and windows covered with chicken wire cooping. That’s where all the lost kids are brought in after they’re found on the beach. The place is run like a cafeteria. Parents come in and look around to see their lost kids and then take them home. Sunday the place was in an uproar.

The policewoman was excited and said to me: “I may be a policewoman, and I have a heart. But this is too much. One hundred and fifty lost kids is too much. I haven’t eaten yet. I’m going to close up this place.”

No Play Wanted

On the way back to the city I was hailed by a female hitch hiker. “I’ve been waiting 15 minutes for a Surf Ave. street car,” she told me as she stepped into my car. I left her off at her destination. She wanted to go home and change into a play suit and ride with me. But I told her I had too much work to do and not enough time to play.

When I got back to the city I took a shower and finished my pictures. While I was at Coney I had two kosher frankfurters and two beers at a Jewish delicatessen on the Boardwalk. Later on for a chaser I had five more beers, a malted milk, two root beers, three Coca Colas and two glasses of buttermilk. And five cigars, costing 19 cents.

I started wondering what else was going on in July 1940 given that it was the eve of WWII.
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940

July 10, 1940. WWII, The Battle of Britain begins.

July 14 – WWII: Winston Churchill, in a worldwide broadcast, proclaims the intention of Great Britain to fight alone against Germany whatever the outcome: "We shall seek no terms. We shall tolerate no parley. We may show mercy. We shall ask none."

July 15 – U.S. politics: The Democratic Party begins its national convention in Chicago, and nominates Franklin D. Roosevelt for an unprecedented third term as president.

July 21 - The day Weegee took that famous photo, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft enters service, so named as 1940 roughly corresponds to the year 2600 on the Japanese Imperial calendar.

July 27 - Bugs Bunny makes his debut in the Oscar-nominated cartoon short, A Wild Hare. However, it is not until 1941 that his name is adopted

2. Likes kung fu jesus, Jaysz28 liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cool coincidence (July 22, 2020)

I was just a bun in the oven, half baked with three months to go. OOOH! will we see big crowds of people packed like Sardines ever again?
    Last edited by SmileyFace; 07-25-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh heck yeah. Bars, beaches and house parties have been packed like sardines even though they’re supposed to be social distancing.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard "Sergio Perez" driver for Race Point team has tested positive for COVID-19, he has an automatic 14 day guarantee and will not be driving in the next two races at Silverstone. He isn't showing any symptoms of the virus, it is a wait and see situation now. If he becomes ill, that will put him out for the season.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, didn’t know. The whole thing seems to be a matter of luck whether or not someone gets it there. Even without an audience the teams are huge and chances are higher. I bet he’s not the only one on the team with it.