Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New issues

Post Thanks / Like

New issues

About a year ago I broke my braided turbo oil feed line. I had Sick Sideways make and install a new line. My issue with it was that it's a rubber line. Even with firesheath I couldn't trust a rubber oil line laying over the turbo heat shield. Several people I know agreed that it should be replaced with another braided line. I got one made and that's when the madness started.

When I removed the line from the tee fitting, by the oil filter, the nipple came with it. I had to loosen the whole fitting to get it in a position to reinstall it. Couldn't figure out what size the fitting was. Got it loose with an adjustable and a cheap 7/8" open. Could not get a wrench on it to tighten it. So I go out and buy a SAE offset 7/8". Doesn't fit. Find a 15/16" open end but it's too long. Break out the Dremel and cut it in half. With twisted contortions I finally get it right. All this took me a whole day.

Jump ahead to Sat. Start trying to get the compression nut on the nipple. Spent 7 hours in oppressive heat, in total frustration, totally unable to get a straight shot to the nipple. MM was able to somehow get this done but I've given up.

I called Lars, the owner of MK Turbo, and he says he doesn't even bother trying anymore, when he does installs. He told me taking off the intake manifold is the easiest way, and that's what he does. So tomorrow the intake comes off. I'm quite sure if I had the car on a lift that I'd be able to get that damn fitting on. I can put it on the nipple but can't get it straight. Oh well, now everyone knows what my three days of stupid work has been like. Resting sore and bloody hands today.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

2. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New issues

Don't remember how I did it.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Stronger hands and fingers than me. Plus the car was a lot higher than I can get it. Not being able to get eye level and working blind is definitely not my forte.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this thread will help.

https://gearheadsmiataclub.net/vB/sh...ghlight=cooler
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those instances where trying to work around something rather than removing it winds up taking more time and causes more frustration. Something critical like the oiling system requires assurance. I completely empathize though, I think we’ve all been there.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you from experience that getting the car on a lift does not make reaching that fitting any easier.

Pull the intake and stop suffering.

with that said this tool makes pulling the intake a lot easier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16413235768...item26370d0631

8. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Likes minuteman048, kung fu jesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the manifold off. The oil fitting took less than five minutes. I sure could have used that tool. Have to finish putting it back together today. My fat arms make it hard. They're all bloody and sore. The only issue I see is getting the brace for the vvt line on. It's on the bottom of the manifold and has a water hose blocking the hole. I didn't see it, after removing the manifold bolts and it was holding it on. I couldn't figure where it was hanging and Lars told me about the brace. I wish I didn't have to put it back on but I don't want to mess with oil line problems. Engines go boom.

10. Likes kung fu jesus, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tip on that tool! Joe, do you mean the water line that goes to the throttle body?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it goes from the "oil cooler" to the back of the head. It was right in front of the 10mm bolt, that helf a bracket, which the vvt lower line goes through.

🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Good tip from Jay. I use a wobble ratchet extension, works similarly.