Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slave cylinder issues

Post Thanks / Like

Slave cylinder issues

While out a couple days ago my clutch slave started acting up. I ordered a couple Exedy ones for $12 each from Rock Auto. When I was taking off the stupid 949 braided line I realized that the fitting is an 11mm. Who the hell makes 11mm fittings?

When I went to remove it, the nut was froze to the line. I had to spin the slave to both remove and install the new one. It was a real pita, especially in 95 degree weather. I counted, 1,000 pumps later, still no clutch, but it's pushing fluid with no bubbles. I notice a puddle forming not where the slave is. The damn 949 line is leaking. I got my 10mm flare wrench, to remove it from up top from the hard line but the nut promptly rounded off. This made me real happy.

I ordered a 65" braided line from Goodwin Racing. It will go from the master to the slave. Have a new master to finish it off. Now I just have to wait for the clutch line. Why do simple things turn out to be so complicated?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slave cylinder issues

I had one of their lines do the something similar to me at the track in june and that 11mm threw me off. I don't even carry an 11mm. Ended up buying a line from one of the other miata guys so I could keep going but that sucked.

Drives
    Mazda MX-5
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember where I bought that extended clutch line but it made it so much easier to bleed the system. The one I bought included the 2 copper washers too. Also, I keep an extra brand new slave cylinder in the trunk now, just in case.

4. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

FFR, nuts for compression or flared fittings do not need to be Hulk-Smash tight. They also do not need thread dope or tape.

6. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a period of time where I did overtighten things. The bottom nut siezed from corrosion, I guess. The top one from the OEM line might have been overtightened, but I don't think it should have rounded so easy with a quality flare wrench. Plus the 949 line developed a leak and I had it sheathed in a fuel line to prevent abrasion. I'll sheath the Goodwin Racing line as well. I just hope it doesn't take forever to get here. I've heard mixed reviews about their customer service. They were the only place I could find a line that went from the master to the slave.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

8. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are having abrasion issues on the sheathing, isolator p-clips are your solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BED1C51-1026-4D71-9B99-A5404F200F2B.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	4351

10. Likes Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Mazda MX-5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    If you are having abrasion issues on the sheathing, isolator p-clips are your solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BED1C51-1026-4D71-9B99-A5404F200F2B.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	4351
    Mazda actually uses several of these throughout the wiring harness. They are so convenient.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy coincidence but I was just at Lowes for some home-related electrical stuff and saw a bunch of these.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    I had one of their lines do the something similar to me at the track in june and that 11mm threw me off. I don't even carry an 11mm. Ended up buying a line from one of the other miata guys so I could keep going but that sucked.
    Thats why I bought a set of these: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200628_124302.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	4355 to get one of these: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200628_124429.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	4356
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

14. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did happen to have an 11mm open, which worked fine on the slave. What rounded, using a flare wrench, was the factory hard line that goes to the braided line. That's why I'm replacing the hard line. I'm not sure but I think an 11mm is close enough to a 7/16" to use.

16. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post