Name:	SAM_2186.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	4327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2187.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	4328

Bigger job than I expected even though I read up on it before I started. Got some new lenses from Priority Mazda and they cost plenty, but I figure I better get them before they are no longer available especially for an NB1. Yes you have to remove the bumper to get them out and it took a little extra time since I have the lip and radiator cover. Yes I broke a few fasteners because they were old but have a supply of new ones in my parts bin so I replaced them.

When I got the old lights out I noticed there was a resistor under the light fixtures I never knew were there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2185.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	4329

The bolt grounding it was a little corroded so I replaced it, cleaned up the contact points and used a little contact cleaner. Hope to have prevented a future electric grounding problem. I also used some contact cleaner on the lamp plug contacts, but overall they were clean and dry. There were resistors on both sides so I did both.

I did not take a lot of pictures since it was mostly routine stuff. My nose/bumper is littered with stone chips so I am going to get the spare one out of the attic and send it to the body shop to have it painted with multiple coats for some added protection by the end of this year.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

2. Likes Pmarcuzzo, Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replaced my headlights today

Looks good. When you say lenses, you mean the whole headlight or just the lens?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the whole assembly minus the bulbs and sockets. Had to transfer those over but you can buy them complete with those but at a higher cost.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    Mazda MX-5
    Post Thanks / Like

RedMiata25 Re: Replaced my headlights today

Coincidentally the passenger side headlight stopped working today. Luckily there wasn't any traffic and I have two extra Philips sealed beams ready to install when I get home. n

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2185.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	4329

The bolt grounding it was a little corroded so I replaced it, cleaned up the contact points and used a little contact cleaner. Hope to have prevented a future electric grounding problem.
    Mazda, oh Mazda. The NA has a 5 pin retainer grounded under the brake booster. Age has started to break them down because of negligent owners allowing their brake master cylinders or boosters to leak over it. I always recommend owners to relocate that ground to the bracket where several relays are held (headlight, horn). This keeps the contact from absorbing moisture or brake fluid from a leaky reservoir. It also makes it more accessible. Mazda's excuse for that poor ground placement is that the RHD would have the brake booster on the other side.

6. Likes minuteman048 liked this post
    ⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work

any interest in selling your old lights?

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Those new lights look excellent! Nothing spruces up the exterior more than ditching the old, fogged up headlights for new ones. I’m surprised nobody makes just the lenses for sale given how many NBs made. Good tip about the resistor hiding under there too. Too bad you didn’t have a freshly painted bumper cover ready since you were already there.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

AT least now I know how to take it off. Also ordered some new plastic clips for when I do it again.