Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting to plan clutch replacement

🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting to plan clutch replacement

I ran an XT00 and 8# fidanza on my ‘92. My last turbo tuned to 240 BHP. Neither that, the S/C nor two dozen HPDEs made it slip. Response was awesome, especially at the track in N/A form, but it was loud and a bear in LA stop & go. I pulled it at 80k miles later, it still had a ton of life on it. I replaced it with an F1 chromoly flywheel and an HD ACT, it was still responsive, a lot easier to live with and a lot less noise. The F1 flywheel was 12-14# and I had to clearance the centerbore to fit the OE center bearing to fit right.

I am considering sending a spare 5sp out to be B&B’d, case bolted locally. I will definitely be ringing up ACT for a clutch again. Just never had an issue with their quality nor their performance.

Even at low boost, not taking account for headroom can glaze and ruin a disc through inevitable boost creep.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 01-17-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    Do you plan on draining the trans and filling with new fluid. If so, have you made a choice what you're going to use? I've been happy with Amsoil, Redline and most recently Ford unicorn tears. But six speeds are finicky what you put in them. You could probably use and GL-4 synthetic and be good. Just don't get GL-4, GL-5 compatible fluid The GL-5 formula is known to soften syncros and shorten the life of the trans. If I can find it I'll bring a driveshaft sleeve you can put in the trans, so you don't take a bath, although from pictures I've seen you seem to enjoy that.

I also have not had issues of slave and master failures that seem to plague some people who install heavy clutches. You can drive it Saturday, if you haven't ordered it yet. I'll try to get it adjusted right. I have the 2 nuts jammed onto each other and it doesn't hold adjustment because I'm too lazy to lock it down.
    I am going to drain the 5 speed trans before pulling it and reuse it. It's the Ford synthetic and been in there two years. The front and rear seals will be replaced along with the rear main seal on the engine. Already have those parts as well as the exhaust gaskets and a replacement downpipe. A fresh slave cylinder will also go in. I am not planning on getting an oil bath again. That was Jesters car and he set me up for that. Have not seen that picture in a while.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-17-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

That was the other thing, the heavier XT clutch, preventative maintenance was replacing the slave annually, the master every other year because it’s cheap. The longer, braided SS clutch slave lines that eliminate the hardline coil to the slave are a huge time saver to replacing slaves.

4. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    That was the other thing, the heavier XT clutch, preventative maintenance was replacing the slave annually, the master every other year because it’s cheap. The longer, braided SS clutch slave lines that eliminate the hardline coil to the slave are a huge time saver to replacing slaves.
    Put the SS braided line in years ago. One of the best mods out there. Slave cylinder change out with a quality unit every other year especially before a road trip is a ritual. I believe in predictive maintenance on critical parts to keep you going like in the aircraft industry.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 949 braided line many years ago. Now the nut, at the hose side, is frozen. I have to twist the whole thing to get it off the slave. If I replace it, I'd like to get a line from the master to the slave. Eliminate the hardline all together.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    I bought the 949 braided line many years ago. Now the nut, at the hose side, is frozen. I have to twist the whole thing to get it off the slave. If I replace it, I'd like to get a line from the master to the slave. Eliminate the hardline all together.
    Are you using the right cube wrench? You can also get a replacement hard line.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    I am going to drain the 5 speed trans before pulling it and reuse it.
    You can pull the trans with it full if you plug the output shaft with a used driveshaft yoke. We do it at the shop and track a lot.

hell, we have 5 motor swaps to do before Feb 5th and we won't spill a drop of MTL doing it! lol

9. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    You can pull the trans with it full if you plug the output shaft with a used driveshaft yoke. We do it at the shop and track a lot.

hell, we have 5 motor swaps to do before Feb 5th and we won't spill a drop of MTL doing it! lol
    Joe dropped one off so yippie!

11. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post