Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rain-X headlight restoration kit review

Post Thanks / Like

Rain-X headlight restoration kit review

I needed to clean up the headlights, and decided to try Rain-X's kit. It comes with a Velcro pad for the four sanding discs supplied. It has a foam polish pad too. There is an envelope of polish and one of air activated clear, embedded in a soft towel.

The sanding discs don't hold up to even one headlight before starting to lose grit. That melted the brown grit dust into the plastic lens. I hand sanded the spots out. The lighter grits were just as bad. I was very light handed with the drill and finished sanding by hand.

Now to polish. The envelope it's in is hard to get the right amount of polish out. It wants to all come out at once. The polish it's self is too thick and dries up before you can get it buffed off. I had to clean it off with a wet rag. I would up using Plast-x polish, with a Meguiars Terry buff pad. The headlights looked good at this point.

The kit has an air catylized clear coat, which is soaked into a soft paper towel. Instructions say, wipe it wet and don't wipe at all if it starts to dry. It drys fast. Instructions say some streaking may occur, which will go away as it dries. They lie. The streaking stayed visible. If you look closely it looks like you cleared over heavy sandpaper marks. The clear is also not crystal clear, so there's some cloudiness.

All in all my opinion is this product is a waste of $18. The Meguiars kit does a much better job, although they only supply a paste wax type of uv protection. I threw away what was left of the kit except for the little foam buffer. I might be able to use it on paint. It's your money but I wouldn't waste it on this Rain-X headlight restoration kit.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

2. Thanks pdexta thanked for this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rain-X headlight restoration kit review

Joe, thank your for the write up but this sure would be better with a few pictures. The truth about headlight restoration is that there’s no quick fix. Hopefully, somebody in the future produces some new lens replacements for Miatas whereas you can do the shake-n-bake replacement method but until then, it’s going to require real work.

Ideally, the headlights should be removed and clamped to a table where you can work each one with an electric drill/400-grit sanding pad with a spray bottle full of water to keep everything wet and low speed to avoid heat. Then move up to 1000+ grit and finally a dab of rubbing compound. The lens will look 90% clear but hazy until a coat of SEM UV clearcoat spray and a UV light to cure it all before looking factory new.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked long and hard at my headlights and found some of the haze is on the inside of the lens so spending time and effort on them is fruitless. Replacement is only option.

i wish they would go crack to glass lenses.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. The biggest problem with Corvette headlights is “crazing” where multiple, little cracks appear in the lenses from the inside but there is a manufacturer making new, aftermarket replacement lenses at least. If your Miata’s headlight lenses are only hazy on the outside, you’re still in luck.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the the Florida sun is the big factor in the aging of the polycarbonate lens, add the factor that the new lamps (other than LED lamps) contribute to the aging of the lens. Is there UV protection lens cleaner for headlights?
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

There are spray on coatings that protect against UV but it’s a bit of a process. Anything you can wipe on with a towelette is like taking an Aspirin to cure cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had any luck with fixing hazy headlights. Your experience was about like mine, shoddy products just nice enough to rob you of your money.

I've paid a few professionals to polish them before and they'll look good for a few weeks, gradually fading back to how they were. Replacement is the only serious headlight option I put any faith it anymore.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    I've never had any luck with fixing hazy headlights. Your experience was about like mine, shoddy products just nice enough to rob you of your money.

I've paid a few professionals to polish them before and they'll look good for a few weeks, gradually fading back to how they were. Replacement is the only serious headlight option I put any faith it anymore.

Completely agree! I wish they would make them out of glass!
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very expensive to make glass headlight lens to the stylized designs of modern cars, I watched a youtube where a guy conducted a test of headlight lamps and he came to the conclusion that HID lamps were the best lamps for the money, the only draw back was they take about 2 to 21/2 seconds to warm up and produce a blue white light (that is why they are not use for high beams because you can't flash them and if you try it shorten their life span. All the others begin to age and loose brilliance, and brightness once you turn them on, The LEDs have a longer life, but they are not as bright as the HIDs and would require higher voltage circuitry and make them very expensive. The "Gunsquad" brothers tried to repair a Ferrari seal headlight the same method as Joe and they had to re-sand a second time with 1600 and 2000 grade wet sanding, but the clear coat didn't dry evenly and they ended up getting an unscratch lens and where able to remove the old lens and re-seal the scratch free used lens.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.