Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: So, weird question about brakes.

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

So, weird question about brakes.

So, I need to buy/borrow upgraded 1.6 miata brakes. Long story short, I have the opportunity for a private track day coming up november 15th. Which came up last minute. Between the fee to drive, travel, lodging. Im cutting it extremely close with all the other stuff I have going on.

I've been informed, about how poorly stock brakes are on a road course. And how likely I'm to encounter pedal fade/lack of brakes once they get hot

But time, and funds are of the essence. What's my best bet for a fairly priced performance brake upgrade? Or as stated above, is there anyone with upgraded 1.6 brakes that could help me out? Deff willing to compensate. Just digging deep trying to make last minute arrangements to get some seat time, and have a blast in ugly betty.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, weird question about brakes.

I highly recommend Hawk HPS brake pads. Hardly any dust, don't destroy the rotor, and stop the car. Have them on my car and on back to back runs on the Dragon running at the redline and am highly impressed. A set of good slotted disks helps dissipate the heat.Would stay away from the drilled ones.

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...n&autoModClar=
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the track guys I've seen run generic blank rotors. I love StopTech Sport pads; they're cheap, squeel a little, moderate dust, grab hard and I never had them fade. I'm certainly no expert, but I think good, clean brake fluid is almost more of a concern than pads are.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

Victor is going to look into getting me stoptech or hawk pads, with rotors all around. Also going to do a brake fluid flush. It's a scramble atm. But seems like the stars might be aligning. I'm just super excited to possibly get the car where its suppose to be. And drive it like it should be driven. Calling upon a couple of my good friends to help me install the rollbar. And get the car close to track worthy

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t you get my Boss Frog roll bar way back when?

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I helped remove a bunch of parts in exchange for the side splitters that never made they're way onto my car ��

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I run hawk blue pads on cheap stock rotors. They are a bit grabby but manage the heat really well

I good street/track pad are race tech pads. I *might* have a set of those too

I have some used pads you can use for your track day. I just threw out some used up hoosiers though.... darn it