Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motor replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Motor replacement

I thought I would start a thread on my motor replacement.

I ordered an 84k motor from UK motors on August 23rd. It was shipped on September 3rd, and due to arrive on the 10th. I've already ordered the q max reroute and new injector seals. I have to order a bunch of stuff to be ready.

I do have a question that I'd like to throw out there. Should I drill and tap the pan, on a motor stand, or swap pans? Will I be able to get the hole in the exact same spot, just by measuring? I can measure once the old motor is out.

UK motors runs their motors for 2 hours, to check for noises and leaks. Because of this and the contrains of time, I will not be doing a front of the motor overhaul, at this time. I'll replace the rear main and all the cooling lines. I'll get an intake gasket set just to be safe. I have some low mileage belts I'll use. Oh yeah, I have vvt "O" rings for the banjo bolts. I need to get water wetter and some sealer for the turbo drain and flywheel bolts. Other than oil and filter can anyone think of anything else I need?

Last question. I've been using a 180* thermostat. Without the reroute it would run up to 215* on a long drive, at high speed. The q max comes with a 195* thermostat. Should I use it or get a 180*? Car now cruises around 190-195*.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motor replacement

I'd vote to swap oil pans and use the 180 degree thermostat.

I'll only drill the oil pan on the motor when the motor is in the car to save myself from pulling the motor. With the motor out, it's not hard to remove the little 10mm bolts and swap the oil pan. Difficulty wise, I'd think it's actually easier to just swap the pan and not messing with trying to redrill and tap a new hole. Plus swapping pans eliminates the risk of nicking the oil pickup tube and/or dropping aluminum shavings in your oil.

The thermostat is just personal preference I guess. I've always run a 180 stat, I feel like it keeps the motor warm enough to be happy but keeps you farther away from dangerous temps than a 195 stat would.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

3. Likes Jaysz28, kung fu jesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I just need to get the 2 end gaskets? Do I need a new pickup tube gasket? 5x sells a pan "kit", which includes the pickup tube gasket. I read permatex "the right stuff" was best for the rtv. Any opinion on that?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Why put a hole in two oil pans? Swap it. If you need miscellaneous spare parts, I might have them so just ask.

Have to ask, what are shipping charges for a motor from the UK?
    Last edited by minuteman048; 09-03-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to swap out the pans. As far as shipping, I don’t know. The $750 price included shipping. Don’t know how they do it so cheap. Redline had a 131k motor for $1100, picked up.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it ain't coming air freight. $750.00 would be just for shipping.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Scott

and the shop just uses grey RTV on the pans, that is how mazda did it

Post Thanks / Like

I got everything ordered today. I got black rtv, I hope it'll be ok. Interesting note. Pcv hoses are no longer available for NBs. I talked to Priority Mazda. I also went with the 180* thermostat. I got the stant number from miata turbo, I hope it fits. Q max does not take oem thermostat.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the engine is out, how about an oil filter relocation kit?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm too cheap for a relocation kit. I don't mind changing filters. I use k&n filters, with the 1" nut, on the end. Easy peasy. Plus it's maybe 3 times a year.