Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Motor replacement

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motor replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Pmarcuzzo View Post
    I picked up one of these to use with baking soda to blast the old paint of my brass cash register I am working on for the bar. But you can use it with sand too. What about "blasting" it first? https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-...gun-95793.html
    Kudos to you Paul, great find and you excel in skills I lack. I think this is the way to go Joe and is affordable. You'll be there for days with a wire wheel. Got a compressor? If not I can lend you one since I have two.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    There's an issue that might turn into a real problem, concerning rust. The motor never had ac on it and where the ac bracket bolts on is very rusty. I'm going to try to run a tap in the holes but I have a bad feeling that there won't be enough metal to hold bolts. Anybody have any ideas what I can do? If anyone can confirm that these are 8x1.25 holes that would help me, otherwise I'm going to have to pull a bolt to check.

After it's cleaned up I would run a tap into it. if it's too far gone just drill it out for the next largest tap size. It may also require drilling the AC bracket to fit the next larger bolt size. I have the drills and taps you need. I knew a guy that repaired construction equipment and this was an acepted standard repair.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 09-13-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall the thread and pitch, but that doesn't look that bad. Patience, lube, and judicious torque (sounds like AO's date night) will be key. Just don't want to break the tap off.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    There's an issue that might turn into a real problem, concerning rust. The motor never had ac on it and where the ac bracket bolts on is very rusty. I'm going to try to run a tap in the holes but I have a bad feeling that there won't be enough metal to hold bolts. Anybody have any ideas what I can do? If anyone can confirm that these are 8x1.25 holes that would help me, otherwise I'm going to have to pull a bolt to check.

4. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's10x1.25. Careful passes with a tap and that rusty heap got some good threads. Bracket bolted and torqued on fine. I spent about 3 hours with a hand held and electric drill wire brush and got all the scale and rust off the block. The timing cover bolts were rusty bad too. The lowest one on the left had no head on it when I got it. I wound up snapping it flush with a visegrips, after a days soaking of pb blaster. All the other bolts came out and I got new ones. I decided to be different and painted it with aluminum engine enamel. Lipstick on a pig. I'll post some pictures later or tomorrow.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Spent all day yesterday and swapped motors out. Took just about 11 1/2 hours. Had to swap manifolds, add oil lines, swap oil pans, put ac bracket on, alternator on and motor mounts on. Everything inside the "new" motor looked great. Nice and clean. It started right up. Ran it for a half hour or so and went to drive it the two hours home.

About an hour and a quarter in temps started to climb. I was in the middle of nowhere at the intersection of hiways 27 & 29. I pulled over when temps hit 215. I called AAA at 10:00 to come and get me. At 11:00 they said they can't find any flatbeds available yet. I told them to forget about it. I had been up since 5:00am and was beat up. My wife came and got me and I got home at 1:00am. Not exactly how I planned.

After I got the car home, this morning, and looked at it, I saw the only wrong was a hose clamp needed to be tightened and add a gallon of water. So, all is good with the car, pretty much. I only got a few pictures.

"new" motor almost ready to go in. All painted pretty silver.

Old motor, out of car

No motor in car

Me, standing in engine bay.

Me staring at parts, looking dumb.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

7. Likes Pmarcuzzo liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey! it's Mr Dirt 2019!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr. Dirt2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	3694

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr Dirt.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3695

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

My God, Joe! What part of winter project did you not understand?

BTW that block looks super nice!

Post Thanks / Like

AO, the winter project is going to be timing belt, wp and seals. I thought at first the belt had been replaced, because the lower timing cover was cracked and had a broken bolt. What it was is that the rust had expanded the metal collar, cracking the cover. The water pump is smooth, with no leaks. The front seal is wearing slightly. The belt didn't have any crap on it and no cracking. With this in mind, I'm sure it will work until it cools down.

I didn't put the supermiata reroute on before the install. It hangs pretty far off the head. I didn't know if it would hit the firewall and get damaged during install.

My Mishimoto radiator drain plug hole has really sketchy threads. It wouldn't seal without a bunch of sealant on it. I'm just going to have the damn thing welded. I'll just pull the lower hose to drain it. Other than that I broke the speed sensor and have to put in a new one. I have a little exhaust leak too. That's just a matter of repositioning a v band. Then I think all issues are dealt with. Next on list. Dual line catch can with vent, with pcv delete. I'll run both vents to it. AO, save that cappuccino water bottle. I'm going to need it.

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job Joe! Keep away from the raccoons! :-)
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Job Joe, you look like a battle worn warrior, but victorious.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.