Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: It's really just a big miata

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's really just a big miata

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    Well done Scott, I hope you plan to keep the S2000 garaged for the winter once it starts to snow. Do you live where the winter snow fall can be severe in your area?
    Oh yeah, I can't stand having a car outside. A 3 car garage was my only requirement when buying our house, and all 3 cars live inside.

We specifically picked a pretty mild climate when moving. Average yearly snowfall for Knoxville is 6 inches and from what I've seen it doesn't stay around too long when it does come. I'm expecting to be able to drive it pretty much year round, but I do have the civic for particularly nasty days.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

2. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

The second most expensive investment in your life should be protected like your wallet.

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve been browsing exhausts for a while trying to come to a decision on what will work best for me. I really wanted a sub $1000, quiet, light, single exhaust, only to find that what I wanted does not seem to exist.

When considering options I kept coming back to a Yonaka exhaust. Itís a 3Ē exhaust, seems to be marketed as quiet-ish, manufacturer videos online that sound good, and itís currently priced at $279 shipped. Every ďreviewĒ I found consisted of people that had never seen it, never heard it, but all universally claimed it was junk. That's one thing I loathe about the S2000 community, everything has to be super expensive or it's automatically garbage, which has resulting in a ton of way overpriced aftermarket parts. Given the significant physical and financial upside, and what appears to be 100% speculative downside I decided to give it a shot and in the process I thought Iíd share an actual review of the product.

My initial impressions were solid. The exhaust looks really nice, fitment is perfect, itís a straight through muffler and resonator (tennis ball rolls right through the exhaust), and it weighed in at 23.5lbs (on my highly unofficial bathroom scale vs 52lbs for stock). The exhaust sounds amazing in vtec, and itís quiet at idle. If I could manage to keep this thing idling or in vtec at all times Iíd be in love. Volume wise Iím getting to be an old man and the exhaust is a louder than I prefer just driving easy and it drones like most aftermarket S2000 exhausts, in the 3000-4000 rpm range. I already tried pitching the idea that a turbo would help quiet it down a lot... but the idea wasn't well received.

Overall Iím quite happy with the purchase, I donít think you could expect more for the price and I'm entertaining a few options to try and quiet it down a bit more. Of course the true test will be how it does in the long run. For posterity, the exhaust was installed at 136k miles, Iíll report back if I run into any issues with it. If this thing holds together I think it will prove to be a great and inexpensive option for a lot of people.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191115_181228.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	3796

Name:	20191115_181252.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	3797

Name:	20191117_165740.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	3798
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

5. Likes Agent☣Orange, minuteman048 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

The Vette crowd is the same way. If you don’t spend $1300 on headers and another $1800 for midpipe and mufflers, you just bought junk but a couple budget-minded guys are happy with their $300 OBX eBay specials. Three-inch exhaust is quite large for your motor IMO. The weight loss is a great benefit.

I’m worried about your health. That drone could start to resonate in your brain, causing you to possibly drive off the road and into a tree, cause nightmares, multiple personality disorder and involuntary bladder and bowel movements. At this point, the only safe thing to do is install a turbo.

7. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup the "vette tax" I always hear about is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. A metal pipe is a metal pipe, on a '97 Civic it costs $12, on a Lamborghini it cost $50,000, people are so dumb.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that you have that big, empty space on the left, how about filling it with a rear fog light? Even better, a rear fog-light, reverse light combo? I got a set similar to these to replace the 3-inch rear reflectors on my Soul but they come in 4” also. They’re basically trailer lights but one would fill in that space and make your S2K unique.

Name:	EE956E77-53F9-4B5F-82E8-FB619CC21C9D.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	3800

Post Thanks / Like

Cars with a dual exhaust on an inline motor have always bugged me. I don't care for the hole, but it bothers me considerably less than the logic of wanting to add a bunch of weight and unnecessary complexity to the exhaust for no apparent reason. And... now I'm over here biting my tongue, trying not to rant about the stupid fake brake ducts in the front bumper, lol.

After driving around with the exhaust a bit more the 3000-4000rpm drone at light throttle is 100% my issue. Outside of that range the exhaust is exactly what I was hoping for. Interestingly enough this is a common issue with virtually all aftermarket S2000 exhausts, and it's the reason the stock exhaust came with this weird little thing:

Name:	hemholtz.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	3803

It's a Hemholtz resonator that functions similarly to blowing across the top of a bottle. Through some apparent science, the sound waves are altered so the car doesn't sound stupid in that rev range anymore. I'm still reading and researching it, I hate to hack up the stock exhaust but that seems like it might be the best option since the few I can find online are crazy expensive.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Helmholtz chambers are not well understood by non-engineers but they’re seen a lot on intakes to smooth out air pulses. I’ve ween a few exotic exhausts with Helmholtz chambers as well. I think you can add it to your exhaust after doing the math.

Name:	8B480FC2-279E-4FAC-AFD7-8CF7D7EEB430.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	3804

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would very much like to hear the sound of your new system, when you have the opportunity to make a little video of you starting the S2000, driving in traffic and finally on a twisty road.
    As for the dual exhaust tips for 4 and 6 cylinder inline engines it is purely for design styling. What I would like to do is install two belted exhaust pipes running down the chassis and then splitting apart and exit out of two tips or one large oval. Would this configuration increase the efficiency and performance of the engine and produce more horsePower? Back in the early sixties sports car team mechanics and F1 racing engines, the exhaust header were tune into a bundle of snakes with equal lengths and then joined into one larger pipe that flared out like a trumpet bell. Then in the seventies noise abatement laws forced SCCA and IMSA tracks to require some form of silencer, race car mechanics discovered that introducing these silencers, back pressure increased the performance of the engines creating more horsepower. That is the start of the after market exhaust system designing custom systems that help increase performance and small increases of HP.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a little wide open video today.

Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

14. Likes Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 liked this post