Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's really just a big miata

Excellent trunk monkey!

2. Likes minuteman048, pdexta liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

4. Likes pdexta, Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I've fallen in love with Voodoo shift knobs. They sit super low, feel great, and are very reasonably priced. My car had a skunk2 shift knob on it, that I was alright, but I wasn't particularly impressed with it. After shopping around it was very difficult to find a voodoo knob for an s2000. The only ones I could find were titanium (too expensive) and polished (too shiny for my taste).

I finally tracked down Tom with Thompson-Automotive.com who told me the S2000 knobs were being fazed out due to low demand. Shortly after he emailed me again and said he found a few unfinished knobs in his shop. He offered to finish them in a spun finish and relisted them on the site. My luck is never this good!

The knob arrived yesterday and I installed it. Super happy I managed to get one, but sad they're going away (in S2000 sizes anyway). At least Miata knobs seem to be well stocked and available. If anyone is thinking about a shift knob, these are hard to beat.

Pics to show how low they sit (the ebrake is untouched between the pictures so it gives a nice height reference). Voodoo on top, Skunk2 on bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails voodoo.jpg   skunk2.jpg  
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

6. Likes minuteman048 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Voodoo knob. Goes back a long way. My favorite knob was my 1lb TWM like in your bottom photo. It went from my Miata to my Z then my Grand Sport until I traded that in. Now it’s in my toolbox waiting for my next manual car. I have my dad’s old TWM knob from his Miata as a keepsake in his memory. I’m going to mount it on my workbench to hang my shop towel.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a wooden pistol grip one that came with the car. Wanted to mount it on the toilet tank as a flush handle but my wife won't let me.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Despite appearances, they're remarkably different cars. In airplane terms the miata is more stunt plane to me; light, small, tossable, easy to control, quick to react, and happy with nearly anything you throw at it. The s2000 is more fighter jet; sharp, precise, capable, but with much less room for error. They're both really fun and exciting to drive."
    I like your analogy, I agree the Miata is a stunt Plane, and The S2000 a Fighter Jet. That is why boosting the S2000 for more horse power would make it much more difficult to drive. The horse power to weight ratio of the S2000 is perfect. I am sadden that Honda discontinued the S2000, I would have love to see them improve the car. There was speculation that Honda would reintroduce the S2000, no news is sad news. At the moment the whole world is in love with SUV style of cars so much so that all most ever manufacture is producing veracious versions, small medium and large.
    Last edited by SmileyFace; 09-20-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

People have forgot how to have fun driving.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    People have forgot how to have fun driving.
    Yes those that do are in the minority. Automobiles while still the main means of personal transportation (freedom to go anywhere) they have become status symbols that are influenced by fashion and fads.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

What comes after Millennials? Their spawn are quitting their corporate jobs to fix up a Mercedes Sprinter for $100K to go “off the grid” and document their “struggles” on Instagram and Facebook about how hard they have it retiring in their twenties but how good for the soul traveling is as if they invented it.

Post Thanks / Like

A few weeks ago I wired in an air pump bypass that cleared the CEL for my dead air pump ($40, rather than $900 for an air pump). Today I was able to delete the actual air pump and lines. Nothing much, but it's a few pounds of useless junk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191005_115134.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	3721

I also swapped out my valve cover gasket since I keep smelling burning oil dripping on the exhaust. While I was in there I cleaned up and repainted the valve cover. Just barely snuck in a "before" picture just before I started cleaning.

Name:	20191005_135507.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	3722

Name:	20191005_153520.jpg 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	3723

Name:	20191005_153647.jpg