Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: It's really just a big miata

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's really just a big miata

Next up is going to be a new top. Really not looking forward to it, but the rear window has some patches in it. I got the top already, just waiting for the time and motivation to jump into it.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it once and it was terrible. Given the option, I'd do 3 miata tops rather than doing 1 S2000 top.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did my Miata top it took me all weekend with help from Alex and Joe. When I had to replace it under warranty I paid a pro to do it. It took him 3 hours.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, I would farm that job out.... i hate messing with convertible tops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    yeah, I would farm that job out.... i hate messing with convertible tops
    That was my plan going into it. The only shop I could find in the area quoted me $1700 to have it replaced. When I replied to them agreeing to their price and asking to schedule an appointment they just ignored me.

After that I decided to suck it up, buy a $450 top and save the $1250 install cost. I'm dreading doing it, but if they can't tell me when to bring the car in I didn't want to even think about them actually working on the car.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    That was my plan going into it. The only shop I could find in the area quoted me $1700 to have it replaced. When I replied to them agreeing to their price and asking to schedule an appointment they just ignored me.

After that I decided to suck it up, buy a $450 top and save the $1250 install cost. I'm dreading doing it, but if they can't tell me when to bring the car in I didn't want to even think about them actually working on the car.
    They quoted you high thinking you would walk away. Its obvious they did not want to do it.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Bernie has a good point which is scary in and of itself

I'd be glad to lend a hand knowing you had another car to drive and a place to park it if the install went sideways

Post Thanks / Like

I should be fine getting it done, just waiting for the right opportunity to jump into it. My current top is alright, I just hate the patches, so it can hold out until the time is right.

I forgot to mention, when I pulled the front wheel off to pull the air pump out I found some adjustable Ktuned upper control arms. Yay free mods! You can see a coupe places where the car has rubbed the tire a little bit so I think I'm going to raise the car up a 1/4 inch or so just to get a little more clearance.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

10. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked up on Robbins website what they allow for pro installation of a new top. It was 7.5 hours. My experience with their times is to add 50%. That would put you in into the 11-12 hour range. That's a lot of work. I'd try and do it before it gets too cold out, or wait until spring.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console