Thread: It's really just a big miata

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's really just a big miata

Nothing wrong with red!

Post Thanks / Like

My first task with the new car was to delete the passenger airbag so my co-pilot could ride along. It was surprisingly easy. I popped a panel off (where every other car on the planet has a glove box) and from there I just had to disconnect the airbag harness and remove 3 10mm bolts. The airbag then pushed out through the dash, then the top cover slipped off and popped back into the dash without the airbag. I attempted installing a resistor to prevent getting an SRS light on the dash, but the first 2 attempts failed. I ordered another resistor to try, hopefully I can trick the light into turning off until Haley is old enough for the airbag to be reinstalled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_02691.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	3641

When I bought the car it had a check engine light, which I was told was for the primary O2 sensor. I bought a new primary sensor and when I crawled under it I found a testpipe with the secondary O2 sensor wire ripped out of it and sloppily zip tied to the car. I replaced the primary O2, and went to buy a secondary as well. Got everything swapped over and went about 10 miles before throwing another CEL (I'm assuming because of the test pipe). Looks like I need to dig up a anti-fouler to space the sensor out a bit.

We also gave it a good wash, cast and all Haley insisted on helping. I think she's already claimed it as hers in 11 years. She really seems to like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_02661.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	3642
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

3. Likes minuteman048, Jaysz28, Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot how long that hood was. What a beauty! Any shot of that wonderful motor?

Is it smelly without the cat? Can you tune the OEM ECU directly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I forgot how long that hood was. What a beauty! Any shot of that wonderful motor?

Is it smelly without the cat? Can you tune the OEM ECU directly?
    I'll get some engine shots soon and post them, it's all stock under there now.

I don't think the smell is bad, I've caught a whiff of it a couple times but it wasn't enough for me to realize it didn't have a cat before I actually looked at it.

The tunability really suck on these cars. The stock computer is untunable so no luck there.

Hondata has Kpro for S2000s, but it's based on a RSX ECU and sensors, so not only do you have to get an RSX ECU that's $$$ you have to mess with a bunch of wiring and swapping oem sensors to get it converted over to run on the ECU.

There are a few standalone options: AEM, Haltech, Megasquirt that are all expensive and not especially user friendly

There are a few piggyback options: VAFC, FIC that are constantly fighting with the stock computer and not overly effective.

It's probably going to be a while before I really get into tuning. I think I'll probably end up doing intake/exhaust first, and even that is probably several months out.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

6. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    ⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

megasquirt isn't user friendly???

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    I think Scot means the S2000 with a megasquirt.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    It's not bad on a miata where there are a ton of people running it with a ton of base maps and general information, but thats going to be a lot harder in a car when your the only one running it.

Even with the community support I've never gotten a tune "right" where the car runs flawlessly, there's always some little issue to chase. In my experience its hard to beat a factory tuneable ecu where you can adjust the stock maps.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

10. Likes kung fu jesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still on the warpath against these dash lights. I mentioned before that it had a check engine light, well 4 actually: 2 for the Primary O2, a secondary O2, and the last for the secondary air injection system. Plus it has the SRS light from me removing the passenger airbag.

Well replacing the primary O2 got me down to two CEL's. The secondary o2 sensor is going to need a anti-fouler since the car has a testpipe on it. Some reading has shown that the air pumps are a common issue with older s2000's. Since the air pumps objective is helping warm the cat (that I don't have) on cold starts, I found a delete kit that is supposed to get rid of that light (and the pump all together). Hopefully I can get them all knocked out this weekend.

I got an airbag resistor and installed it yesterday that looks like it's fixed the SRS issue. So that's one less light at least.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

12. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to see you going through more repairs on a new (to you) car but it sounds like you’re working it out. Rather than the anti-fouler, do you think you could just tune out the rear O2 sensor? Yes, I’d rather just get rid of that air pump too.

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be a while before I jump into a tuner, I need to replenish some savings before that happens... and get a new AC for the house, and my wife wants a new car, and Haley broke her leg 4 days before my health insurance kicked in at work, and speeding tickets, and.... life just keeps spending all my money on things I don't even want to spend it on!

The couple bucks for an anti-fouler will hopefully turn that light off so I can rest easy until I get something to tune with.

The car is in very good shape overall, but I went into it knowing there were some little issues to resolve (and the price I paid reflected that). All these little repairs were no surprise, I'm just trying to get it all polished up and back to 100%.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

15. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post