Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Hardtops Available

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

New Hardtops Available

99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Hardtops Available

NOTE: This model is called a "street" model because it comes with weatherproofing seals and a molded rear window. It is not, however, a factory hardtop. First of all, it weighs less than half of a factory top - this makes it super easy to put on and take off, but does not keep out the road noise quite as well as one twice its weight. The mounting brackets are custom made for the top, and the window seals, although effective, are not molded to the window like those in a factory top. The molded rear window looks great and is weather-proof, however it is not glass, and does not have a defrosting option. Bottom line - this is a very nice top, easy to install, and looks great - but it is not a factory top, and will not provide exactly the same the comfort/noise reduction that a factory top will.
    In other words, it sucks.

Randy (PhatMiata on MR) bought a new one not so long ago and I think it was one of three left in the country. Hopefully there will be another run in the future. There is no replacement like OEM.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for that commentary. I guess you did your research. Based on that I would prefer an OEM and if I was in the market would pay a premium for a good one.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be less concerned with wind noise and more concerned with how it fit and if it kept the rain out.....

I have a OEM top and there is wind and road noise with it. These cars were never designed to be quiet inside like a toyota, honda or kia

5. Likes Gazornan liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Well thanks for that commentary. I guess you did your research.
    Not sure if sarcasm but just look at their own disclaimer. Even the window seals are iffy. Remember I had that OEM hard top in my living room for almost a year so I got a chance to study it a bit. The OEM top is a fairly complex assembly of thick fiberglass, safety glass (with defroster), well engineered latches, rubber seals, headliner and so on. I think the OEM cost around $1800 brand new so if I really had to have a top, I’d spend more for the OEM.

I think the aftermarket top would suffice for racing circuits that require them but I don’t know specific rules.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

most miata series are based on 'showroom stock' rules, and therefore require us to use a factory top

trust me, I'd much rather run a lighter aftermarket top if I was allowed too

8. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Not sure if sarcasm but just look at their own disclaimer. Even the window seals are iffy. Remember I had that OEM hard top in my living room for almost a year so I got a chance to study it a bit. The OEM top is a fairly complex assembly of thick fiberglass, safety glass (with defroster), well engineered latches, rubber seals, headliner and so on. I think the OEM cost around $1800 brand new so if I really had to have a top, Iíd spend more for the OEM.

I think the aftermarket top would suffice for racing circuits that require them but I donít know specific rules.
    Not sarcasm. Sorry it sounded that way. They also sell a racetrack version. This one was for the street.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I fall back on my view of a roadster, a rag top that folds down so you can drive with the wind blowing in your hair (oops in my case around my honey Mellon head). If I wanted a hard top I would have purchased a 2 door coupe like a 370Z car. And the cost of a hard top from GoMiata for my NC would cost me 1000 + dollars.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

11. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post