Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugly Betty

So first, this is the last build thread Iím going to start. Iím keeping this one. And selling off all my other projects. Except my Jeep. But thatís a different story.

Picked her up yesterday, after my boss called me about the add for the 91 Miata he found on facebook. I called the guy, and to my surprise he still had it. Picked it up for his asking price of 400.00, I didnít even argue on the price.

What I do know, the engine has been replaced with a 92 lnc, the top has been replaced, someone has done some shitty body work. Someone hit something, driver inner tie rod is bent. Ac compressor is MIA, and p/s isnít hooked up. Basically she needs some work.

And having gotten slightly wiser in my old age of 28, maintenance before mods... As much as it pains me. I plan on doing this one right with this one, and keeping it.

The last picture is just after getting her to the shop. The top has a mold growing, so I just sprayed it with degreaser real quick to see how it would clean up.

Main focus right now, is getting her driving right, running good, and looking decent.

And donít worry, itíll go lower, but not as low as the last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ugly Betty

$400???

Dammit! That was last month’s heating bill!

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent[emoji1282
    Orange;60369]$400???

Dammit! That was last month’s heating bill!
    Never paid more than 600 for a any of my miatas, minus trading a street bike for my last Mainer blue one.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet every time I go looking, sellers seem to think NAs are like the second coming of Christ.

Congrats, man! Very happy for you, especially in your older, wiser 20s.

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent[emoji1282
    Orange;60371]Yet every time I go looking, sellers seem to think NAs are like the second coming of Christ.

Itís these damn youngins cutting them up, making the death carts. Lol

But sheís already going to be heading to paint here soon. Struck a deal with the body shop behind me. Heís gonna replace the bumpers, hood, body work, and paint in exchange for one of the other vehicles Iíve acquired.

Just need to find a good condition read finish panel.

Agent, would you mind moving this to the build/project section. And Iíll just keep updating this thread.

6. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the hood rusted or painted that color? They were aluminum stock so that looks prerty weird. Maybe its aftermarket steel, but hopefully thats just some terrible paint.

Glad you're back with a miata.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you back with an attitude of fixing and keeping. You look like you have a few club projects there. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Hell of a deal you got on body and paint. That can cost real serious coin quick. You're just repainting stock color I hope. I hate to see under hood, door jams, etc. different colors. If that hood is rusty you'll never be able to sand out all of it, on the underneath side. Consider using Ospho or Corroseal, to soak into the nooks and crannies. The rust (ferric oxide) will be turned into not rust (ferric dioxide) You can then paint it.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

9. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Yet every time I go looking, sellers seem to think NAs are like the second coming of Christ.

Tricky shopping the NAs, especially pre-OBD2 models. As part of a group looking for a friend, we scoured the SE (NC,VA, SC, GA, TN, and AL) about a 300 mile radius from his location in Myrtle Beach for '94-95, under $3500. 4 months later, and after looking at about 20 cars, he spies one sitting on a parking pad about 10 miles from his home, saw it hadn't moved in a whlie. He knocks on the door to ask about it and the original owner was in fact trying to sell it. A '94 M with 90k on it. Paint was badly faded, but clean otherwise with good documentation. He planned to paint his next NA anyways, picked it up for $2k. After parting out his other NA, he wound up buying it for about $700.

I looked at a number of NAs around ATL for him, so much hammered dog shite out there.

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugly Betty

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Is the hood rusted or painted that color? They were aluminum stock so that looks prerty weird. Maybe its aftermarket steel, but hopefully thats just some terrible paint.

Glad you're back with a miata.
    Aftermarket steel hood, he never got around to painting it. The body shop is going to replace the hood with a oem one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    Good to see you back with an attitude of fixing and keeping. You look like you have a few club projects there. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Hell of a deal you got on body and paint. That can cost real serious coin quick. You're just repainting stock color I hope. I hate to see under hood, door jams, etc. different colors. If that hood is rusty you'll never be able to sand out all of it, on the underneath side. Consider using Ospho or Corroseal, to soak into the nooks and crannies. The rust (ferric oxide) will be turned into not rust (ferric dioxide) You can then paint it.
    Too many projects, not enough time, or money. Getting rid of most of them, so I can actually get some other ones done. Civic- trading for the paint/body work, festiva is getting picked up March 9th and heading to Indiana where thereís a huge following for them. And Iíll be selling the boat, that I havenít touched in 1.5 years.

And yes, it will be staying the factory red

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your find! Glad to see you wanting to get her running and not scavenging her for parts to make a buck. Always makes me a bit sad when something isn't too bad of shape and they sell her off piece by piece. I bought a new finish panel off a guy up in Tampa for ~ $130 a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig that up. I figured it was worth the money instead of putting on another 25 year old piece of plastic that was going to crack two months after it got repainted.

Please post any needs/resources you might need. Somewhere I got a list of where I bought everything when I did mine
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90