Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Genuine Fluid XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ford Genuine Fluid XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

It's been 3 years since I changed the tranny juice. I have to drain it to put in a speed sensor so I'm going to fill it with 2 qts. of this motorcraft unicorn tears. I checked amazon and it was $32 a quart. The local dealer has it for $23. If I remember right I have to drop my downpipe to get to the drain plug. Bummer. At least I can fill it from inside the car.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem with drain plug access on my 5-speed. Is it because of mods you can't get to it? I have a high flow cat mid pipe and its no problem.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the down pipe is tight to the trans. Dropping it is just one v band though. An extra 10 minutes. I need to reposition the clamp anyway. The bolts sticking out, in the way of my heat shield.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

I've pulled the transmission speed sensor several times without draining fluid from the trans and it's never leaked. If that's the only reason you're draining it I think you'll be fine to leave the fluid in.

I hate how expensive decent MTF is. My G35 took 4 quarts, the stupid oil was worth about the same as the transmission.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Put that Motorcraft transmission oil in my 5-Speed and it did feel it made a difference. Got it for about that price from the dealer after balking at the Amazon price.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    I've pulled the transmission speed sensor several times without draining fluid from the trans and it's never leaked. If that's the only reason you're draining it I think you'll be fine to leave the fluid in.

I hate how expensive decent MTF is. My G35 took 4 quarts, the stupid oil was worth about the same as the transmission.
    That's good to know about not having to drain trans. I'll give it a shot today. My good sensor has the wrong gear on it, so I'll need to swap them out. I hope it's as easy as it looks. I'll just keep the 2 qts. of unicorn tears in my shed, until I need to change fluid. It's not going to go bad.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too, I changed the transmission fluid at 30K per the owners manual, just before the June in Boone meet, and I notice the difference right away. I'm wondering if Ford makes a similar synthetic for the differential that meets Mazda's requirement.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    Me too, I changed the transmission fluid at 30K per the owners manual, just before the June in Boone meet, and I notice the difference right away. I'm wondering if Ford makes a similar synthetic for the differential that meets Mazda's requirement.
    Yeah, without that oil change he would not have been able to keep up.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Yeah, without that oil change he would not have been able to keep up.
    Yeah, silent, swift, gear changes made me "Speed Racer"
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

10. Likes Pmarcuzzo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    That's good to know about not having to drain trans. I'll give it a shot today. My good sensor has the wrong gear on it, so I'll need to swap them out. I hope it's as easy as it looks. I'll just keep the 2 qts. of unicorn tears in my shed, until I need to change fluid. It's not going to go bad.
    I'm 99% sure I have a 3.90 sensor if you end up needing one let me know and I'll dig for it.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp