Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Daily Civic Hybrid

Traitor.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Not as fun cars, but for daily drivers. I have always said I will never give up my internal combustion car.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. For my DD, I too will take any technology that gives me the best mileage but for my toy, I prefer internal explosions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading a bunch online about reconditioning batteries and that any "new" batteries you buy for the car are actually just reconditioned anyway. It led me to take a chance on an "untested, as is" battery pack on ebay for $250. I pulled my battery pack out last night and installed the new pack.

First test didn't look great, my battery showed 165 volts and the ebay pack showed 115 volts. I hoped that just indicated that it'd been sitting for a while. I threw it on the charger and before long the numbers were climbing to respectable levels. I let the battery charge overnight.

Meanwhile I disassembled my stock battery pack. I've read a lot about people that have 1 or 2 failed battery sticks within the pack of 20 that will cause the whole battery pack to under-perform, so I was hoping that would be the case. Much to my disappointment I found every single battery stick in my pack between 8.12v and 8.17v, almost ridiculously consistent and all within the rage of what you'd call a "good battery stick". With no apparent "problem" that had me a little disappointed.

This morning I found the ebay battery pack charged up to 175v, so I decided to give it a try on my way to work. I think it's a little too early to call it a success, but first indications look great. The battery gave much more assist than my other pack, never threw a IMA code, and would auto-shutoff at every single stop (where my old pack would do it maybe half the time). I'm hoping this one turns out to be as good as it appears to be. If not I'm planning to pull it apart and try to frankenstein one decent battery together out of the two.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

5. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I commend you for being the first in the club to work on a hybrid car. What type of batteries are they? Nickle Hydride?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I love messing with something new, especially when it's already broken so I can't do too much harm to it. They are nickel hydride, each stick just looks like 6 D-cell batteries that have been taped together with some yellow tape. I'll have to get a picture of them tonight.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

What is their lifespan? Do they retain a “memory” when they’re run down too far?

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that the old battery pack tested consistent in then 8 + volt range is a good sign, recharge the old pack and monitor the discharge rate without a loan. If it is easy to change packs you could have a fresh pack any time you needed one. When Hybrid cars where introduced I wondered what the life span of the battery back was and the cost of replacement. As you found out replacement packs are available as used, reconditioned or you can buy individual sticks. There is a person who live in Naples who buys wrecked or salvage Tesla cars and reconditions them. There is also a person on youtube who buys non running (salvage) cars at auctions and restores them (Tsla Sedan, he takes serious risks because the auction prices leave a small margin to work with.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any concrete data on the lifetime of the batteries, but it seems like everything else with a rechargeable battery (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc), you're just not going to make it last reliably beyond 5 years or so. I know it was enough of an issue that they extended the warranty on them, but it's nothing that would benefit me at this point.

Old hybrids seem like a silly gamble for the most part, but I knew going into it what I was doing and welcomed the challenge. Full electric cars seem like a different ballgame to me. I'm really interested to see what happens with Teslas as they age. It's one thing to buy a junker hybrid civic and have your 13hp electric motor die so you have to run on the little gas engine. It's a totally different scenario to buy a still expensive used Tesla and have the battery die so the car is totally useless. I imagine a Tesla battery is serious big bucks, in a few years we may start to see a lot of "dead battery" Teslas for dirt cheap. That could be a sweet option if you could figure out how to get them back on the road cheap.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp