Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Daily Civic Hybrid

I love that bit, haha. So true.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for a history lesson, when Honda introduce the little Honda Civic mid 1960s, it had two spark plugs per cylinders. A pre-ignition small plug in a tiny Hemi space and then a second standard plug to complete the combustion cycle. As the Civic grow up and the gasoline was flowing again, the Civic engine became a 1500 cc 4 cylinder 100+hp they stopped import the small displacement engine.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

3. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    I wonder if a small turbo would help the batteries charge better???? make it a true hybrid!
    Haha, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it. I actually bought a tiny garrett t25 off facebook a while back for $50. I got it home and did some research and it came off a RB26DETT. The thing is way too tiny for anything normal, but it'd be perfect on a wimpy 1.3L.

I think the Civic is rated at like 85hp, so maybe 70whp. That turbo seems perfect to get you up to 100whp or so. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any tuning software for it which would be a huge hurdle to overcome. And it does kind of defeat the whole concept of buying a cheap economical car.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Haha, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it. I actually bought a tiny garrett t25 off facebook a while back for $50. I got it home and did some research and it came off a RB26DETT. The thing is way too tiny for anything normal, but it'd be perfect on a wimpy 1.3L.

I think the Civic is rated at like 85hp, so maybe 70whp. That turbo seems perfect to get you up to 100whp or so. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any tuning software for it which would be a huge hurdle to overcome. And it does kind of defeat the whole concept of buying a cheap economical car.
    Well that little turbo wouldn't produce a lot of boost, and if the car is maf based the stock PCM might be able to handle low boost situation...... hrmmmmmmmm

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

You probably figured out a way to turbo charge your kitchen blender.

Pdexta discovers turbo charging at a young age:

99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

7. Likes Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    You probably figured out a way to turbo charge your kitchen blender.

Pdexta discovers turbo charging at a young age:

What insight MM, Scott your like an open book. I think that is great, I marvel at your ingenuity and inventiveness.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my charger and wired it in. Its showing that its charging, but so far doesn't seem like its helping the batteries. I guess it was a long shot for such a high mile car.

I did get a laugh out of the warning on the battery panel. You "will be killed or hurt..." pretty strong verbage there. I managed to survive completely unscathed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180805_153526.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	3098

Also managed to set a new personal record on the way to work this morning. I'd love to find some time for a late night or early morning drive on nice roads to see what it'll do.

Name:	20180808_084925.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	3099
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

10. Likes Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving an old battery is a long process just for a single car battery. I imagine it must be a super long conditioning process for an entire battery pack like yours.

12. Likes Jaysz28, pdexta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple quick updates. Hopefully I'm not annoying you guys with my boring car. I tried the ecomodder website a few years back and... well, I just didn't seem to fit in well there. I really like having some data I can come back to later, so as long as there are no objections, I'm planning to keep this thread running with my boring fuel economy updates.

I got a chance to go out last night for a "hypermiling" drive. I quickly figured out that I don't know of any roads in Lee county you can drive more than a 1/4 mile without hitting a red light. Despite my struggles, I managed a little over 20 miles at, hopefully no one is superstitious, 66.6 mpg.

Name:	20180810_220625.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	3110

Even more exciting for me, today we went up to Busch Gardens in Tampa. Since my first drive in the car was Tampa to Fort Myers, this offered a perfect opportunity to compare the car before I messed with it to after I did plugs, oil, lowered it about 2 inches, added 10psi of air to the tires and some other minor little stuff. My first drive home managed 39.6mpg, today round trip to Tampa and back it got 42.3mpg. Nearly a 3mpg increase at 80mph after some minor maintenance and lowering the car seems pretty significant to me. The car did great, no issues at all.

I'm going to keep fiddling with the charger and hope I can bring the batteries back somewhat. I don't know if I'm ready to dump a lot of money into it for new batteries. It doesn't seem like it'll ever make sense financially; with such high mileage the car won't ever be worth much more than I paid for it anyway. I'm just hoping it'll get a little better.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep it coming. Interested in hybrids. I figured sooner or later we all will have hybrid or electric cars.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement