Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Tires

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Tires

That’s good to know actually. I also ran R1Rs but my problem up north was that roads were actually below freezing which kind of negated performance tires for a Miata. The same fear goes for Dawn Patrols where even though your tires are warm, the ashpalt is cold and slippery.

Spent quite a lot on Road Force balancing too.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    I ran R1R's on my first miata. I liked them a lot at first, but felt like they faded really bad as they wore. By the time I was on the wear bars they were sliding around really bad.
    I ran the R1R's when I first started out and had the exact same experience as Scott

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Checked my tires today and they are worse than I thought. The rear tires are bald as if I have been doing burn outs and I don't do that. Got to get new ones and when I last checked the Yokohamas AD08R's are still available. I swear by them and until they are ll gone I will stick with what works for me.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...m=05VR5AD08RV2
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s when you know you’re having too much fun in Boone.

5. Likes minuteman048 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Thatís when you know youíre having too much fun in Boone.
    That road trip really ate up a lot of tire tread but they did their job. I looked at the comparable Dunlop Z-2's, but they are not available in my size.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I've played the tire game ever since I purchased my NC 2014, they came with BridgeStones Potenza RE050A UTQG rate 140(non rft) that were part of the GT suspension and handling package and I wore them out to the wear bar within 15K miles, driving Dawn Patrols and one year AutocCross. Tire Rack wanted $245 per tire, too rich for my pocket book. So I opted for Perelli P Zero UTQG 220 $148 per tire, at 25K miles I ran over road debris and one tire damage required replacing So I replace two tires and at 30K miles the two older tire needed replacing. So now I was looking at buying two new Perellis or 4 new tires.

Last year I purchase 4 wheels with worn R1R from Ron's 2007 NC, I planned to use them as AC tires, but they were so badly worn that when I installed them on my car took a test drive they were so out of balance and the wear pattern on each made my car wobble, bounce. I made it around the block driving at 25 mile an hour uninstalled them. I decided to look for 4 new tires and install them on the 2007 rims and several days of looking for low priced summer performance tires I found Firestone Indy 500 tires with an aggressive tire pattern with a UTQG rating of 300 for $96 per tire. I am extremely happy with that tire, in my aborted trip to June in Boone I was able to stay so close on Bernies tail that later that day he said I looked like Thumper. The one thing I have noticed is that the aggressive pattern and UTQG rating of the Indy 500 is that they like to dance in the rain (hard down fall).
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    That road trip really ate up a lot of tire tread but they did their job. I looked at the comparable Dunlop Z-2's, but they are not available in my size.
    What about Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, Dunlop Direzza Z111 very similar to the Yokohama you like
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    What about Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, Dunlop Direzza Z111 very similar to the Yokohama you like
    I will stick with what has been proven to me. Once they are no longer available I will move on to something else.