Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right rear back up light troubleshooting.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Right rear back up light troubleshooting.

On the ride up to Tampa yesterday Yata told me my right back up light was not working. No problem, just a bulb change out.............Not! After trouble shooting this afternoon I found the hot wire for the light was dead. I checked the continuity and grounds of the wires from the disconnect plug for the tail light assembly to the socket and it all checked out good. Now I have to trace it to where it meets the wire from the other tail light assembly. Will have to strip the trunk to do that.

Have the factory shop manual wiring diagram and it has a page just on the backup lights but it was useless. Over simplified and incorrect, the color codes did not match the harness. If it proves to difficult to trace i will have to run a jumper wire from the other tail light assembly.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 04-09-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Right rear back up light.

Just snip the factory wire on the offending tail-light and run a jumper wire from the good to the bad.

3. Likes Pmarcuzzo liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

What I can't understand is that the power wire on the car side of the connector has what looks like a factory splice with two other black wires. Will take a picture of this but it was taped with electric tape. The mystery thickens and I have no idea how long the light has been out. I am the kind of guy where everything has to work and be correct. The jumper wire is the last resort. Stay tuned.

Damn wire diagram is useless and does not depict the splice so I will try to trace it. Does not make sense.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible there is corrosion in the bulb socket preventing good contact?

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Is it possible there is corrosion in the bulb socket preventing good contact?
    Nope. Clean dry contacts. Powered up the tail light harness at the plug straight from the battery and it lit right up. Can't figure out why that circuit would fail. This will be my weekend project.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your frustration, this is the kind of thing that would drive me crazy.

You could easily just ignore it; it's no real safety issue and the chances of getting a ticket for it are next to nothing. You could easily hack up the harness and jump the power from the bulb on the other side... but this is so basic and so simple, it should work and it should be "right". I'd end up ripping the whole car apart trying to make the stupid thing work how it's supposed to, and I'd probably end up breaking 5 more things in the process.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

8. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't go that far and will stop before it gets extreme. Will trace it from the tail light assembly forward and from the other direction from the transmission reverse switch back and find the where it splits to feed the two lights. My harness should not be hacked or damaged so curiosity has got the better of me. If I find it I can share and help some one else out who is excessive as I am.

10. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to electrical or electronic circuits I'm like you I want and need to know where the circuit is open be it at the junction or the broke wire. I loath work around fixes. When I started working in the telephone Central Office, the senior tech showed me the CO work around book that had all the tech DIY solutions. If I came across one of those fixes, I tried to find the original problem and removed it. Too many times I found that it was the lazy way around the actual problem.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

12. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate when things don't work as they are supposed too, especially when there is no apparent reason for the malfunction.

I will know your pain when I start chasing wiring on this new trailer! Brake, turn signals and tail running lights work, but its the marker lights that are not playing nice.