Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat Shielding

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat Shielding

Quote Originally Posted by whiprsnapr View Post
    Lol, yeah I could think of a few things I could steal off of all of you guys too. The smurf is garaged almost all the time. And at different locations, to try to keep um guessing. Really I should take a look at making a few of them. Right after I get those pizza stones done. Of which I got 2 templates made. Keep getting sidetracked by things that make me money though.
    I for one understand the need to make money, so I am patient and can wait.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    I for one understand the need to make money, so I am patient and can wait.
    quoted for truth.... I support this quote!

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd post this pic. I should have taken one before it was installed, when it was all pretty. The shield completely covers the back, protecting the heater hoses from direct heat. The side keeps heat away from the brake and clutch masters. I've been changing my brake fluid every couple months without it. I'm going to have to wrap the accelerator and cruise cables in a slit fuel line. The heat has broken down the rubber casing, exposing the wire cable housing.

To make this fit I had to move my brake lines towards the fenderwell well by at least 2''. I moved the whole proportioning valve, with the brake lines attached over and got my clearance. The hard line for the heater hose was in the way, even though it had been bent backwards during the turbo install. I used a 4' piece of pipe and was able to bend it without removing the hose. I pushed it into the dipstick, until the dipstick was starting to bend. The heat shield still wouldn't clear the wastegate actuator arm. I used 1/8''x3/4''x1'' aluminum stock with holes drilled in them and raised the shield 3/8''. It cleared with 1/4'' but hit when the engine torqued over.

It's extremely well made. Out of stainless steel. The only issue I have with it is the top mount requires you to remove the cruise control cable from a brace and zip tie it out of the way. The cruise still works fine though. The Flyin Miata Logo is waterjet cutout of a small piece of stainless and riveted on. Because my system is all MK turbo, I'm going to send a file for waterjetting to Lars to see if he'll pay for a new plaque that says MK on it. Either way the Flyin Miata logo is going to come off, at a certain point. The shield cost a hundred bucks. Considering I don't have the fab tools at my convenience I would say the price was pretty good.

I want to get some different kind of heat barrier tape and rewrap my heater hoses and maybe around the brake master cylinder. I have no idea what to use. If anybody has any suggestions I'll look into it. I also need to tape across the 3/8'' void left by my spacers. I'm sure heat just flies up through there.

2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty nice Joe. Is that Flyin Miata logo on a riveted plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the logo is on a riveted plate.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console