Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help please: Joe stuck in Naples

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Help please: Joe stuck in Naples

Joe is down in Naples and his Miata is dying every time he pushes the clutch in. Once he gets rolling, he's okay but pushing the clutch in at red lights in traffic kills the motor.

We've already considered thrust bearing and a walking crank but after testing, there is no movement.

Any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help please: Joe stuck in Naples

Not sure about NB, on my NA there is a switch that depresses when the peddle is pushed to the floor. Its the neutral switch, no start until bottomed. My NA also has a "trans switch" that is activated when the peddle is released and your foot is off the pedal. I dont really understand its function, but I had similar problems and snagged a replacement switch from the boneyard and cured all my problems.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a switch on both pedals (brake, clutch) that disconnects the cruise control when it is activated. I have had them go bad and had to replace them. Inexpensive, but you have to have be a contortionist to change them. A dealer part, forget auto parts store.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I just called him and he says he thinks he can make it home. He has got a bad slave cylinder. I told him him if he can't make it I'll give him a tow.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

So far, he's managed to get on the highway and is going to try to make it to Sebring but can divert here if need be. More info to come.

Post Thanks / Like

I made it home without any clutch. Just rev match and shift. Didn't have any more issues with stalling because the clutch wasn't working at all. I hope when i put in new slave for some reason it just doesn't stall when depressed. I have the neutral safety switch defeated since I put in the FM clutch. If that were bad the car wouldn't start. No electrical or vacuum lines getting squished or moved either. I'll update when I get my clutch working again.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

7. Likes Pmarcuzzo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this, glad you made it home. I've had the vacuum line to my megasquirt get pinched by the clutch and it would die every time I pushed it down.

If it's hydraulic check to see if the fluid is low and if the slave is wet. If it is then the slave is bad. If not the master is bad.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

I may have been squishing the vacuum line. I cleared everything around the pedal, there were wires and such. Replaced the slave and no more issues. That thrust bearing problem had me worried, even though I have way too many miles and I have the wrong year for that particular issue to be common.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console