Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilwood Big Brake Kit

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood Big Brake Kit

Was always unhappy with the braking power on my 99 when I was pushing the envelope on Dawn Patrol. Have the better brakes over the NA's but I know they upped them even more after 2001 when they went to the 16" wheels which I believe I can upgrade to even with the 15" wheels. Did upgrade my rotors and pads (Hawk HP Plus) which was an improvement but feel could do better.

Then there is the Wilwood "Big Brake Kit:

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewPr...IndexID=102490

My question will this provide too much braking power since I don't have anti-lock brakes. Don't want to lock up the front wheels which to me is even worse. Your opinions are valued.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 06-29-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wilwood Big Brake Kit

Can you not lock up your brakes now? I would think that's more of a maintenance issue than needing bigger brakes. Every Miata I've had has been able to lock up the tires at pretty much any point.

The only brake issue I've had was after about 5 consecutive 0-120mph pulls on a short road that required some hard braking. The last run I guess I overheated the pads and they faded really bad, scaring the crap out of me. If your experiencing that kind of brake fade then you need better pads, new/better fluid, better lines, or bigger brakes.

If you simply have trouble locking up the cold brakes with street tires then I really think something else in the system needs to be looked at because stock brakes should handle that no problem, in my experience at least.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you are getting any brake fade and fluid is synthetic the best bang for the buck would be a used set of big brakes. The front rotor is over 10 5/8", not much smaller than the Wilwood. The rotor diameter is double the base brakes as well. I've seen, on the track, many laps taken with this brake setup. Personally, although I think they're cool, I think the Wilwoods belong on a more modified car with crazy sticky tires. I've only had brake issues prior to changing to synthetic. Now I'm sure I have more brake than tire.
    Rotor Diameter

Rotor Thickness
    Non-Sport Brakes
    Front 255mm
    Rear 250mm

Sport Brakes
    Front 270mm
    Rear 276mm
    Non-Sport Brakes
    Front 20mm
    Rear 9mm

Sport Brakes
    Front 22mm
    Rear 10mm
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I can lock them up if I want to if I press them hard enough. The upgraded rotors and pads made a big improvement but when I did them I found that my rear calipers were seized and replaced them. There was still room for improvement and I can see why Mazda upgraded again to a bigger rotor. It's on my to do list.

Too busy to do anything now, but synthetic is my next upgrade along with SS brake lines.

Ironic, you guys are building a car that will go faster and I'm going to modify a car that stops faster.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 06-29-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO is that the return on investment has to justify the cost of the upgrade. Will you be driving the car in a recreational manner that will make use of performance brake systems. With my NC GT has effective brakes for the engine HP and Torque, and the AB and Traction control have kept me out of trouble. After 2 years of driving and 17,500 miles there is 50% safe wear left in the pads, so I can expect that by 2 more years and 30K miles I will have to replace pads. If I install a SC or upgrade to a 2.5 with a Turbo then I will have to replace the brakes with Wildwood kit.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Then there is the wicked cool factor for the Wilwood Kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Just upgrading your rear brakes to the "sport" brakes should give you a more balanced system for performance. This may require a proportioning valve, but usually doesn't. Couple this with good pads (G-Loc, Carbotech, etc), and good brake fluid for a truly high performance system. That's my .02, anyway.
    '93 (Red no more). 15x10, Xida CS, Torsen, Carbotech, Racing Beat, Enthuza, Rotrex C30-74, Precision FMIC, Tial, Skunk2, Haltech, Momo, Hard Dog, LanceSpeed, Blackbird Fabworx, etc.

8. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gazorman, do you run a proportioning valve on your car? That's one thing I've been curious about but never gotten around to doing it. From what I've read that miatas (especially non-abs models) are pretty severely front brake biased. I suspect the valve alone could improve braking a good bit, but don't have any personal experience.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a thing about front brake bias.... mine has waaayyy too much. Even when others drive my car, they always comment on it.

I've debated using the sport brakes in the rear to off set that, or to use an adjustable prop valve with the stock brakes.

always something! lol

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't sure if bigger rear brakes would help the bias or not. If you're moving the same amount of fluid to apply pressure against a larger friction surface does it grab harder or the same? I guess I want to lean toward it would help, but honestly not sure.

Jay, do you have 1.6 brakes on your car? Pretty sure I have some 1.8 rear caliper brackets somewhere in the garage. If I come across them I'd be happy to donate them to you. Then you'd just need rotors and pads to upgrade.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp