Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery charging (& battery fluid filling) questions

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery charging (& battery fluid filling) questions

The other day, just before leaving for our Tuesday night get together, I noticed my battery was dead, most likely from sitting over a month without running or driving my car. My fault.

I grabbed my battery charger and hooked it up for about an hour at 60 amps figuring that since my alternator cranks out 65 amps, I should be okay. Well the car started right up fine both in the garage as well as when leaving the restaurant later.

Now I see a little puddle of battery acid near the rear tire. Obviously, this is coming from the battery via the drain tube performing as designed to vent fumes and liquids just in case. I opened the trunk and tested the battery, a typical lead-acid, non-serviceable type and found it at 12.4 volts despite the nominal fluid loss. The car still starts fine and charges at 14+ volts so no problems with the charging system.

Now I'm worried though. It seems like once a battery has leaked anything, it's probably not going to last much longer is it? Also, am I wrong in assuming that if the car charges the battery at 65 amps anyway, I can charge it at 60 amps with my charger and be safe? Because I must have done something wrong if my battery started leaking.

Last, even though the battery is non-serviceable or zero-maintenance depending on the marketing, can I just unscrew the cell caps and pour in a little distilled water to make up for what I've lost or do I need to buy some kind of acid?

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battery charging (& battery fluid filling) questions

65 amps? Are you serious? Are you sure it wasn't 6.5 amps? You don't need that kind of current to charge a battery and you would boil the electrolyte right out of it. Is the battery charger capable of putting out that type of current or is it one of those starter/battery charger rigs? A modern charger would charge at a safe rate for your battery. I don't think even a Quick Charge" would use that type of current. Do a battery load test to check your battery condition.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MM, if in fact you actually charged your battery at 65 amps you surely boiled some of the electrolyte out of the battery, and you should perform a load test and inspect the battery to find where the electrolyte dripped out. First off, if the battery was healthy and there was or is no major drain the battery shouldn't have lost capacity sitting idle for one month.
    Item 1. how old is the battery? 2. Just because the alternator cranks out 65 amps max it has circuitry to prevent it from over charging the battery and limiting the amperage and voltage to the battery. 3 what type of charger did you use and how long did it charge the battery at that rate. It's my guess that the battery has passed it's optimal life span and one or more plates has expanded and no longer holds its charge.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in a rush so I charged my battery with my wheeled charger at 60 (sixty) amps. I would never do that with an AGM battery but I figured it couldn't hurt a lead-acid battery since the alternator would normally charge it at more than that without anything bad happening I figure. A month is a long time for a modern car with all sorts of electronics running while the car is off. I should have started the car or run a maintenance charge but never got to it.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Your alternator is designed to run your electric system plus charge your battery simultaneously. All that power was not designed to go through your battery especially since it is not completely discharged. Make sure you let me wire up your compressor or FPL will have to start up another reactor.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

You can throw amps at a standard battery but it won't accept them. A standard wet battery will take about half its rated capacity while an AGM will take its rated capacity until 80 to 90 per cent full. I'd say your battery is failing, at 12.4 volts you are about 65% full. A fully charged battery is 12.8 volts and if it just came off a charger around 13.2 or slightly higher. I have a whole powerpoint presentation on batteries and types I used to give at boat shows if anybody is interested.
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pmarcuzzo View Post
    You can throw amps at a standard battery but it won't accept them. A standard wet battery will take about half its rated capacity while an AGM will take its rated capacity until 80 to 90 per cent full. I'd say your battery is failing, at 12.4 volts you are about 65% full. A fully charged battery is 12.8 volts and if it just came off a charger around 13.2 or slightly higher. I have a whole powerpoint presentation on batteries and types I used to give at boat shows if anybody is interested.
    What the hell, throw it on the forum. I'm interested.

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    What the hell, throw it on the forum. I'm interested.
    Is there a siaze limit? I just tried to upload the pdf notes version (9 mb) and I get a error. Ideas?
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a Yata question. He is the webmaster.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a limit indeed, standard for every forum because if everyone were uploading 5Mb pictures or 10Mb PDFs, the database would slow to a crawl or time out. Nobody has ever posted a PowerPoint presentation here before so I'll go in and set a provision for .ppt as soon as I get home. Thanks for offering, Paul!