Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery charging (& battery fluid filling) questions

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battery charging (& battery fluid filling) questions

No problem, I "printed" a pdf with the notes version. It is 9 mb. the ppt is much larger as my presentations are very graphics heavy.
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pmarcuzzo View Post
    You can throw amps at a standard battery but it won't accept them. A standard wet battery will take about half its rated capacity while an AGM will take its rated capacity until 80 to 90 per cent full. I'd say your battery is failing, at 12.4 volts you are about 65% full. A fully charged battery is 12.8 volts and if it just came off a charger around 13.2 or slightly higher. I have a whole powerpoint presentation on batteries and types I used to give at boat shows if anybody is interested.
    Well hell, I probably hosed my battery then. I thought I could charge a lead-acid at close to what the alternator puts out but that AGM batteries could only be trickle charged. Tonight I tested my battery again and the car starts fine and no electronics problems but the static charge is still 12.4v.

I feel like the clock is running down and it's going to die at the most in opportune time. Now I have to figure where I'm going to come up with a couple hundred dollars I hadn't budgeted for.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring a girl with you to the dealership. Tell them it's your wife and she has to ride in the Corvette you're test driving with you. Keep the pesky salesman away. Have a team NASCAR style ready and swap batteries. Brilliant!

The criminal mind always at work.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

White Knight's daughter might be available, but tell them she is your daughter. They will never believe she's your wife.

i believe you have a picture of her in your Corvette.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-08-2016 at 07:57 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, great ideas but as long as I'm going to buy a new battery, I might as well shop around for an AGM type and see if I can drop some weight.

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

Yata are you on Facebook? There is a SWFL Miata group and there is a guy on there who works at batteries plus and has offered to get batteries at cost before. Also check Amazon, I have Prime and if it is eligible I can get free 2 day shipping for you. I got an AGM for my BBQ table from there, cheapest I could find anywhere. I put an AGM in Molly, I was working at West Marine then and I got it really cheap.

Still couldn't upload 3 Mb ppt
    Last edited by Pmarcuzzo; 01-09-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not on Facebook but I do have Amazon Prime. I buy everything on there from hot sauce to home appliances. Haven't been on eBay since I don't know when. I still haven't even checked out all the music and videos Amazon offers because I keep forgetting that comes with the deal. I'm very happy with Prime.

That's probably where I'll get my battery unless I can use points, military discount etc. to get one cheaper locally but I doubt it.

Any recommendations on which AGM battery to get? I think my car calls for a 650-700 CCA lead-acid battery. From what I understand, AC Delco no longer makes it so an optional battery is mandatory..

*Oh, the reason I'm going with a new battery instead of topping off the old one is because I noticed a little acid puddling on top of the battery next to the positive terminal so now I know the case is breached and not repairable.

Post Thanks / Like

I facebooked Bryan Nuno, who is the guy who works at batteries plus. For example the agm battery for miata that retails for $118 he can get for $78. If I get his store phone I'll text you. Just make sure you talk to bryan.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great and thank you Joe but I hope you're talking about the Port Charlotte store. I don't really want to drive all the way to Sebring for a battery.

I was looking at this AGM battery until I saw the weight, sheesh!
    http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...96492&cmpid=cj

I've been researching batteries for my car and while I'm aware that Corvettes act freakishly wonky when the battery gets even a little low, it also suffers from DBS (dead battery syndrome) so it's not a question of "if" but "when" as it is a certainty that Vette batteries wil die.

They also need a tender when not being driven for a week. I know normal cars can sit around a while longer and start just fine but not this one. It's just how it is and I'm okay with that. Like I said, my fault for leaving it sit over a month without starting it and then hitting it with a 60-amp wallop of a charge.

Right now, it still starts but I wouldn't trust it to the end of the driveway so it's somewhat stranded until new $$ battery. :(

Post Thanks / Like

Bryan Nuno works at the Battery Plus in Cape coral. If it's cheap enough it's worth a call.