Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy @ gearheads

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

new guy @ gearheads

Not new to Miatas, though. I've had one for a bit over 5 years, moderately modified. I exist by another username on the "other" Miata forum, you'll probably figure it out soon enough. Just looking to broaden my horizons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new guy @ gearheads

Welcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself and you car. Where are you from? What year car do you have? What's moderately modified on it?
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

"moderately modified" sounds like a ringer to me! ;-)

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Not new to Miatas, though. I've had one for a bit over 5 years, moderately modified. I exist by another username on the "other" Miata forum, you'll probably figure it out soon enough. Just looking to broaden my horizons.
    Hmm, you created a mystery, so now clear it up. How can we help you?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Welcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself and you car. Where are you from? What year car do you have? What's moderately modified on it?
    I'm in NC foothills; I have a base Brilliant Black 2000. It has an FM2 suspension, FM frame rails, BP5A intake cam swap, 315cc Supra injectors, Raceland header and Roadstersport exhaust, 13 lb FM flywheel and Stage 1 clutch. AC and PS are deleted; Koyo 37mm radiator and Mishimoto fans/shroud. Up to about a month ago, it also had a Rotrex C30-74 centrifugal supercharger with an air/water intercooler. Car made 14 psi and around 220 whp, 180 tq. I had recently upgraded the compressor pulley from 90mm to 75 mm, so I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but they felt substantially better than the 202/160 I was getting with the 90mm (DynoJet)

Then I had a problem with the compressor, so far unknown, but I think I overheated it. So......... I'm back to naturally aspirated until I find a couple grand lying around to replace the compressor.

Now, for those who know my car, that probably gives it away who I am. I know many here from their M.Net username or other handle. (such as minuteman)
    Last edited by Burnout; 10-09-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragonfighter! Your build is what I want to migrate to. Now that my daughter finally graduated college, in about a year I hope yo step it up. Welcome aboard!

Remember about a year you came down to Florida to go on a cruise leaving from Tampa. I gave you the route to take I-10 off of I-95/I-295 to I-75 to avoid all those speed trap/street lights towns. Hope that worked out for you. Once again welcome aboard.

Rest of you Gearheads, Dragonfighter is very knowledgeable and an accomplished Miatas in Boone spirited driver. Lucky stiff lives in the foothills of those beautiful mountain roads.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff man, sounds like a really nice setup. I'm sure you're missing that blower while it's off.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Dragonfighter! Your build is what I want to migrate to.

Rest of you Gearheads, Dragonfighter is very knowledgeable and an accomplished Miatas in Boone spirited driver. Lucky stiff lives in the foothills of those beautiful mountain roads.
    You might rather aspire to Gazornan's setup. He's making more than I was with a similar setup (and a better management system and tune), plus he's gonna really kick some as-phalt once he gets all that puffer stuff on his built engine.

Thanks for the bona-fides. I figure this "handle" better describes me than DF does.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you using for an ECU?

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    What are you using for an ECU?
    Track Dog's Powercard Pro, along with the Timing card. It works great for what I was making at 200 whp, but starts falling short above that. Gary at TDR told me it was designed for up to 9-10 psi and injectors no bigger than 330's. I had smaller injectors, but was pushing more boost there at the end, and the AFR's , while still safe, were fluctuating some.

I've talked a lot with Brad about what I want to do. Once I replace the compressor, I'm going to go with the C30-94, and restrict it to about 10 psi. That should give me about 205-210 whp with a better tune, but the higher flow of the -94 should give me a much better midrange than what I had with the -74 at 9 psi. The one biggest improvement I saw when I put the smaller pulley on the compressor wasn't so much a better top-end power; the powerband moved about 1500 rpm further down than it had been, putting more power where it gets used the most. I'd like to keep that midrange, and I don't really need more than the 210 up top. It's crazy fast when it's making that; Brad can utilize it, but this old brain of mine just can't keep up. Having the fatter midrange makes the day-to-day driving much better, passing power when you need it without having to downshift so much. I don't know if Brad has done any time runs, but having 215 whp on hand makes it a 5 second 0-60 car.

I actually started looking into an LFX swap when my compressor failed. The NB that V8 Roadsters had an MATG this year with the 3.8 V6 was pretty awesome. I just can't get my head (or pocketbook) around the $10K or so it would take to make it happen. It's probably going to be $2.5K at least to get the Rotrex replaced, add better injectors and a better computer. I left my intercooler in the car; I'm probably the only guy around with a naturally aspirated, intercooled car.