Thanks Thanks:  124
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 84 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3439444954596469747980818283848586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoroughly modding Minnie

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoroughly modding Minnie

Interesting layout, it is great that you kept lowering your time. The bumps seem to upset your throttle input as you made right and left turns. I could see that you were smoother and quicker in the slaloms.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

2. Thanks chiefmg thanked for this post
    🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Drives
    it like I stole it.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    Interesting layout, it is great that you kept lowering your time. The bumps seem to upset your throttle input as you made right and left turns. I could see that you were smoother and quicker in the slaloms.
    In the first run, maybe. Mostly though what you noticed was me making small throttle corrections to try and keep my speed up without getting too hot and losing traction.

Haven't done too much since Sunday. I did reconnect the rear sway, while there I noticed the muffler has been moving around enough to contact the diffuser so I'll have to clearance it a bit more. I have also been having issues with the left front wheel contacting the fender liner under short/sharp deflections. A quick finger comparison with the right side shows I have less clearance there so when I put her in the air to swap the front sways I'll get that fixed. I have also swapped the driver's seats around so I'm back to the NB2 stocker.

Thoughts on the autocross. The bumpiness I mentioned made it difficult for me to get up to speed initially. My two years' layoff showed in my first run where I was off-line in a few places and got caught out. They had two traps set up so the course was divided and you can see where you were making/losing time. My first section times were pretty consistent and looking back I don't see where I could have made up any time there. Second section is where I made up the time, mostly in the slalom section where I kept my foot in it longer. Don't know if I could have really done a lot better than my final run without other changes to the car.

Brown Santa made me a happy man today. Managed to score a rare part, purely by chance when I was doing a search and came across someone on another forum who had spoken about having one and wanting to sell it. I got in touch, he still had it and the deal was done. Now I just have to get the screws needed to install it and then test it out.

4. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that up for sale. I always wanted one. Good grab!

🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Drives
    it like I stole it.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    This isn't the one you are thinking of. I saw it for sale and that started my search (wondering what sort of price they are commanding now). I ended up getting mine for less than half of what the one you saw was asking for.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Even better!

8. Thanks chiefmg thanked for this post
    🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Drives
    it like I stole it.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is!

Had some free time to myself this afternoon so jumped into things. I opened the sealed bag my trap timer was in and found that someone had it out in the open previously. This was a good thing though as the mounting bracket had been modified so it would fit a Momo wheel:

I ran to Ace to get some appropriate fasteners then proceeded to get it installed. First, the mount:

You put four screws in to hold the wheel first, then the last two (seen) are what hold the mount in place. After that the trap timer goes on bottom first on that lip you can see sticking out. There is a small Allen screw that goes into the hole at the top, and that is all there is to it.

I need to break out my teeny-tiny jeweler's screwdrivers in order to install the battery, and then I can try to figure out how to operate it. One thing to note, with the timer in place the horn button is very recessed so it can't be operated as you normally would.

Once that was done I pulled the front undertray and swapped back to my MSM front sway. The big JR sway I used for autocross showed signs of side-to-side movement with one of the bushings getting split. I won't be putting that back in. I took measurements of both front shocks, both the overall length and the preload on the springs. Both measurements were the same, so something else is going on there. I will get some good measurements with her on the ground and then adjust the length of the driver's side to match the passenger side.

Finally although I didn't address it today, here is the rubbing the exhaust is doing on the rear diffuser:

Not horrible, but I will clearance it some more.

10. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet you could make an adapter to mount the horn button to the time so it’ll be flush again.

12. Thanks chiefmg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    You had one at the time ?

Post Thanks / Like

@chiefmg

via GIPHY

Minnie is looking niceeeee, good job!

15. Thanks chiefmg thanked for this post
    Likes chiefmg liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like