Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boost gauge question

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Boost gauge question

Ok, well I spent some time trying to diagnose my problem tonight....the boost gauge still doesnt work, but I made some progress.

I now know that I dont have any vacuum leaks. I used this:

I took off the input to the vacuum block and pumped this up to about 18" of vacuum and it held steady with no drop in vacuum....so no leaks there. I then tested a few of the other lines by pluging and blocking the lines....turns out the vacuum is good...phew!

I did replace the pcv and another line, and tighten and repositioned some of the clamps, since I was there.

I then decided to play with the CAS....bingo, got my extra couple of inches in vacuum! And it is not drooping the idle anymore or stalling at every-other stop sign. So now I am getting good vacuum....around 18", the cars runs great, no idle droop or stalling. Its amazing what a little timing adjustment can do! :bounce

The downside...now I need to play with the idle again, it is at about 1050 when warm....and about 550 when cold. So I need to do some more adjusting again. And the other downside....the friggin boost gauge still doesnt read anything other than vacuum (time to email Tom at FFS.) :frustrated

Boost gauge question

Good catch! Your idle problem may possibly be one of two things, or both. 1) the old "short gnd & 10" and adjust idle at the idle air control or 2) adjust the throttle sensor on the throttle body. The vacuum is to be checked with the idle set at 750 - 800 rpm.

Jack

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Boost gauge question

I will do that in the next day or so...should have that idle under control soon, thanks for the tips.

Here is tom's answer about the boost gauge:
    You are not the first. You are connecting to the Vacuum Distribution Block. It never sees anything above vacuum. You have to tap the line to the cards. When the kit shipped there was an extra "Y" connector and some extra tube for that.

I didn't see the y connector...Tom said he'd send me one...but I'm just going to pick one up from an auto parts store.

I guess I should have emailed Tom sooner! The instructions for the FFS shouldn't say to hook up the boost gauge from the vacuum block then....oh well....I'm just very very happy to have an answer!

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Boost gauge question

The end of the boost gauge saga....

(cue hallelujah chorus)
    The boost gauge works!

Jack had an extra y connector...(it was a special size), and some extra tubing for me (thanks jack!), and I got it in and tested it and I'm getting vacuum and a boost reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Boost gauge question

Glad you got it figured out. I'm assuming you used a timing light to set your base timing, but if not I've got one you're welcome to use to make sure you got it dialed in just right. Too much advance will make it run great, right up until it slings a rod out the side of the block!
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Boost gauge question

I had similar problems the first day after installing my FFS kit. The hose to the powercards runs off the intake manifold. I neglected to also T into that boost hose for a connection to the fuel pressure regulator, and of course, also the boost gauge.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Boost gauge question

Quote Originally Posted by bobreimer
    I had similar problems the first day after installing my FFS kit. The hose to the powercards runs off the intake manifold. I neglected to also T into that boost hose for a connection to the fuel pressure regulator, and of course, also the boost gauge.
    The instructions are wrong right?

Those were great dyno results you posted on m.net!

Boost gauge question

It was possible to be confused, although the correct info is in there if you dig around. I just read the part about connecting all the loose hoses to the vacuum block. That's where I went wrong. Tom has since added some details to the instructions for the 90-93.