Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need plug for cooling fan?

Post Thanks / Like

Need plug for cooling fan?

A while ago my cooling fan took a dump. When it fried it burned up the connector plugs. I bought an aftermarket fan motor that I just soldered into the wiring harness. To make radiator and fan removal easier I need to put some kind of plug setup on the fan. There's 3 wires.

Anybody have any suggestions where to get any kind of connector that will work? I don't think scrappers will cut up a wiring harness for just two connectors. I looked at Radioshack's website and couldn't find anything there.

I'm not against using three connectors but I'm not sure what the wire gauge is, so I don't even know what to look for.

Is NA setup the same? Maybe someone here has some spare parts that I can buy. I need both male and female connector with a couple inches of wire for soldering.
    Last edited by Joe Morreale; 02-01-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need plug for cooling fan?

You have to go into an actual Radio Shack store. They have 4-wire Molex connectors that will work great for your fan or anything that needs a 1-4 wire connector.

Post Thanks / Like

My local Radioshack didn't have the Molex connectors. I found a 4 wire 18 gauge connector. My fan had two 12 gauge wires. I twisted two of the wires from the connector together and soldered them to the motor and harness. Everything seems to be working fine. I need to put some grease on the connector though, to ensure no corrosion.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll check out my parts car tomorrow.
    I'm sure I can find something that will work.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever happened to this?

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at Boris's thread with regards to being waterproof I realized that the connector that I used was for electronic use. Definitely not waterproof. I had to go to Naples yesterday and I stopped by Boris's work. He gave me a two wire connector from a jet ski harness. I have to unsolder the one I have now and replace it with this waterproof one.