PDA

View Full Version : Starting to plan clutch replacement

minuteman048
01-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Started researching this and I will be going with a Stage 1 Exedy upgraded clutch. What I am trying to decide on is should I go with a lighter flywheel say about 12 lbs.? Still looking for long term reliability with the possibility of a FI down the road. On my car this would help a little better with rev matching and still have a clcose to normal feel. Clutch pedal would be about 20% stiffer but I could handle that. This is what I am looking at and don't comment on the price. Im still shopping.

https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1031COMBO.html

They mixed and matched the components and tested it so my risk is lower:

DESCRIPTIONOur street friendly 12 pound Exedy Flywheel combined with our Exedy Stage One Clutch kit...complete for an amazing price! Exedy is the premier Japanese OEM clutch supplier and EXEDY made your factory Miata clutch so when they told us they had finished a new organic disc heavy duty Miata clutch kit we took notice by installing one in our own Miata...and we love it.Increased clamping will take the abuse of autocross and track days and low boost applications. Will not hold near as much power as our ACT HD, but this EXEDY clutch gives a more stock-like release curve....very much like the factory clutch release curve! Pedal stiffer by about 20 percent. Kit comes complete with everything you need for installation including Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Throw Out Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Clutch Alignment Tool.
EXEDY Racing Flywheels are made from solid one piece billet Chromoly steel forgings. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel and have the possibility of separating from the flywheel.

pdexta
01-16-2020, 12:36 PM
If someone in the group has a lightweight flywheel you can try I'd definitely want to give it a shot before buying. Light flywheels are one of those weird things that people either love or loathe.

I initially went with an ACT Streetlite (13lbs?) after reading reviews of people crying about lighter flywheels. Once I installed it I couldn't even tell the difference from stock. I eventually went to a Fidanza 9lb flywheel and I really liked it. Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I never felt like I had any driveability issues others complain about with a light flywheel. It's actually one of the few miata parts I've held onto, I know eventually I'll get another miata and that will be one of the first things I do to it.

Moral of the story, it's very much a personal preference thing so try to test one out first to see how you like it.

Agent☣Orange
01-16-2020, 02:14 PM
I too had a super light flywheel...Centerfor ce I think. I never had any drivability issues and neither did my dad who also went with the same flywheel.

minuteman048
01-16-2020, 03:34 PM
A guy at work had a souped up Mitsubishi with an ultra light flywheel. The driveabilility of it was horrible and it kept stalling out. He let me drive it and I did not like it. That was my only experience, but if you guys say it was ok, I will go with it. The one I'm interested in is the 12 lb flywheel.

Agent☣Orange
01-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Twelve pounds, no problem. You wouldn’t notice anything different going to 9lbs. If your friend with the Mitsubishi kept stalling out, he just hadn’t learned to adapt. Come to think of it, I had 9lb flywheel in my Mitsubishi Starion eons ago. It took a couple days to get used to but that big, 2.6L four-banger sure spun up faster after losing 20lbs of rotating mass.

Jaysz28
01-17-2020, 05:59 AM
I have never driven a miata with a lightweight flywheel. Stock is 18 or 19 lbs if I remember correctly.

I have a 12 lb clutch and flywheel sitting on the floor to put in the turbo car whenever that one gives up the ghost.

Joe Morreale
01-17-2020, 08:15 AM
After it was cut, just to clean it up, my stock flywheel was 17 lbs. You won't have any noise or drivability issues with a 12 lb flywheel. The clutch kit looks good but It states that it's good for low boost applications. What does that actually mean? Even 8 lbs of supercharger boost will give you somewhere around 180 whp, and the FFS is about 200. My Flyin Miata clutch is rated for just over 300 hp and it feels like stock. I wonder what the hp rating is for the Exedy one. Mine has about 30-35k on it. When I looked at it there was a couple hot spots where I slipped the clutch too much. Other than that there's a bunch of clutch left.

Do you plan on draining the trans and filling with new fluid. If so, have you made a choice what you're going to use? I've been happy with Amsoil, Redline and most recently Ford unicorn tears. But six speeds are finicky what you put in them. You could probably use and GL-4 synthetic and be good. Just don't get GL-4, GL-5 compatible fluid The GL-5 formula is known to soften syncros and shorten the life of the trans. If I can find it I'll bring a driveshaft sleeve you can put in the trans, so you don't take a bath, although from pictures I've seen you seem to enjoy that.

I also have not had issues of slave and master failures that seem to plague some people who install heavy clutches. You can drive it Saturday, if you haven't ordered it yet. I'll try to get it adjusted right. I have the 2 nuts jammed onto each other and it doesn't hold adjustment because I'm too lazy to lock it down.

kung fu jesus
01-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Just my $.02 of anecdotal experience:

12-14# flywheels are fine for the street. Less than that can be tiresome in traffic and stop & go traffic.

I highly recommend chromoly over aluminum for safety and reduced gear lash noise. A lightened flywheel at the 12-14# range will emit some lash noise versus stock, but not like an 8-10# aluminum unit.

ACT and Exedy flywheels are quality products. I don't know that a stage 1 Exedy clutch will give you enough headroom for adding F/I. I know the ACT HD clutch will, but stay away from the XT (extreme) clutches, unless you like doing leg squats while getting groceries. Whichever clutch you choose, stay with a sprung, full-face (not pucks), organic discs for OE-like engagement.

minuteman048
01-17-2020, 02:47 PM
That's what I read and am going for high end street and if ever go with boost it will be on the lower scale.

The kit I want to go with is a chromoly one piece unit with machined ring gear as part of the flywheel:

EXEDY Racing Flywheels are made from solid one piece billet Chromoly steel forgings. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel and have the possibility of separating from the flywheel.

pdexta
01-17-2020, 03:38 PM
I know the ACT HD clutch will, but stay away from the XT (extreme) clutches, unless you like doing leg squats while getting groceries.

Lol, that's some good advise! I had a ACT Xtreme clutch in my car and it's an absolute beast. I bought it used like 12 years ago from a guy that installed it, broke it in, then removed it because it was so stiff. I then ran it in all 5 of my miatas, taught 3 people how to drive stick on it, put somewhere around 150k miles on it, and the thing never even hinted at slipping. My left leg is easily 3x the size of my right leg.

If your only requirement of a clutch is to not slip and hold tons of power, then I highly recommend it. If you're looking for anything else from a clutch, then it's probably not the clutch for you.

kung fu jesus
01-17-2020, 08:44 PM
I ran an XT00 and 8# fidanza on my ‘92. My last turbo tuned to 240 BHP. Neither that, the S/C nor two dozen HPDEs made it slip. Response was awesome, especially at the track in N/A form, but it was loud and a bear in LA stop & go. I pulled it at 80k miles later, it still had a ton of life on it. I replaced it with an F1 chromoly flywheel and an HD ACT, it was still responsive, a lot easier to live with and a lot less noise. The F1 flywheel was 12-14# and I had to clearance the centerbore to fit the OE center bearing to fit right.

I am considering sending a spare 5sp out to be B&B’d, case bolted locally. I will definitely be ringing up ACT for a clutch again. Just never had an issue with their quality nor their performance.

Even at low boost, not taking account for headroom can glaze and ruin a disc through inevitable boost creep.

minuteman048
01-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Do you plan on draining the trans and filling with new fluid. If so, have you made a choice what you're going to use? I've been happy with Amsoil, Redline and most recently Ford unicorn tears. But six speeds are finicky what you put in them. You could probably use and GL-4 synthetic and be good. Just don't get GL-4, GL-5 compatible fluid The GL-5 formula is known to soften syncros and shorten the life of the trans. If I can find it I'll bring a driveshaft sleeve you can put in the trans, so you don't take a bath, although from pictures I've seen you seem to enjoy that.

I also have not had issues of slave and master failures that seem to plague some people who install heavy clutches. You can drive it Saturday, if you haven't ordered it yet. I'll try to get it adjusted right. I have the 2 nuts jammed onto each other and it doesn't hold adjustment because I'm too lazy to lock it down.

I am going to drain the 5 speed trans before pulling it and reuse it. It's the Ford synthetic and been in there two years. The front and rear seals will be replaced along with the rear main seal on the engine. Already have those parts as well as the exhaust gaskets and a replacement downpipe. A fresh slave cylinder will also go in. I am not planning on getting an oil bath again. That was Jesters car and he set me up for that. Have not seen that picture in a while.

kung fu jesus
01-17-2020, 11:28 PM
That was the other thing, the heavier XT clutch, preventative maintenance was replacing the slave annually, the master every other year because it’s cheap. The longer, braided SS clutch slave lines that eliminate the hardline coil to the slave are a huge time saver to replacing slaves.

minuteman048
01-18-2020, 06:57 AM
That was the other thing, the heavier XT clutch, preventative maintenance was replacing the slave annually, the master every other year because itís cheap. The longer, braided SS clutch slave lines that eliminate the hardline coil to the slave are a huge time saver to replacing slaves.

Put the SS braided line in years ago. One of the best mods out there. Slave cylinder change out with a quality unit every other year especially before a road trip is a ritual. I believe in predictive maintenance on critical parts to keep you going like in the aircraft industry.

Joe Morreale
01-19-2020, 07:04 AM
I bought the 949 braided line many years ago. Now the nut, at the hose side, is frozen. I have to twist the whole thing to get it off the slave. If I replace it, I'd like to get a line from the master to the slave. Eliminate the hardline all together.

minuteman048
01-19-2020, 07:17 AM
I bought the 949 braided line many years ago. Now the nut, at the hose side, is frozen. I have to twist the whole thing to get it off the slave. If I replace it, I'd like to get a line from the master to the slave. Eliminate the hardline all together.

Are you using the right cube wrench? You can also get a replacement hard line.

Jaysz28
01-20-2020, 07:09 AM
I am going to drain the 5 speed trans before pulling it and reuse it.

You can pull the trans with it full if you plug the output shaft with a used driveshaft yoke. We do it at the shop and track a lot.

hell, we have 5 motor swaps to do before Feb 5th and we won't spill a drop of MTL doing it! lol

minuteman048
01-20-2020, 11:49 AM
You can pull the trans with it full if you plug the output shaft with a used driveshaft yoke. We do it at the shop and track a lot.

hell, we have 5 motor swaps to do before Feb 5th and we won't spill a drop of MTL doing it! lol

Joe dropped one off so yippie!

SmileyFace
01-22-2020, 10:08 PM
I agree with all the good information and advice that everyone gave you, now all you can do is purchase the clutch you want, meets your needs and performance requirements.

minuteman048
01-23-2020, 06:43 AM
I could probably look this up. I am assuming on this transmission you have to drain it to replace the seals?

kung fu jesus
01-23-2020, 08:44 AM
It's the easiest way. It's $40, just replace the fluid.

minuteman048
02-17-2020, 10:50 AM
In about a week I order my clutch kit and drive shaft. Just ordered my replacement bolts for the drive shaft. Already have the rear main seal, front and rear transmission seal and gasket, exhaust gaskets, and replacement used down pipe. Off for spring break and the fun begins.

SmileyFace
02-18-2020, 11:02 PM
I want to be there, so let me know as soon as you have the date and time, so I can be there.

Agent☣Orange
02-18-2020, 11:05 PM
Same here. I need the free food.

minuteman048
02-25-2020, 06:56 PM
Ordered my clutch kit. This is happening.

Agent☣Orange
02-26-2020, 11:39 PM
You have about a month before it’s 200 degrees outside.

clownheart
02-27-2020, 09:57 AM
Oh I can't miss this one! The job should be very similar to the NA's 5 speed.

minuteman048
02-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Oh I can't miss this one! The job should be very similar to the NA's 5 speed.

Exactly the same. I am off the week of March 7th-15th so I will be doing the work over those days and not rushing it. Enjoy the work when I'm not rushed.

Replacing clutch, flywheel, rear main seal, transmission input and output seals, driveshaft, damaged down pipe from exhaust manifold, possibly forward O2 sensor since I will have easy access. and will evaluate the shifter I rebuilt it 8 years ago. Will also insulate the midpipe and under the gas tank.

minuteman048
02-29-2020, 03:28 PM
The driveshaft arrived today.

minuteman048
03-08-2020, 02:09 PM
OK got all the parts assembled and ready to get started. Last night after I got home from the Suncoast meet which was a little chilly, I made some hot tea and relaxed a little watching TV before I went to bed. About 11:30 I heard a truck pull up in front of the house. By the time I got to look out the window he was gone. This morning there was a package by my front door! It was the Fedex guy delivering my heat shield items late Saturday night! Just wow!

Here are the pics from Sundays progress. Lifting the car that high took some careful choreography.

Also picked up some 6 ton floor jacks from Harbor Freight and some rubber jack top bumpers to prevent metal to metal contact. Also the wider stance made them much more stable, 23.5" height capacity which I used about 1/2 to a 1/3 height capacity for additional stability.

Got Jacks transmission jack.

minuteman048
03-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Also got my replacement down pipe to replace my damaged one.

Made some blocks to get the jacks up higher. Yes they are screwed together. Picture was taken before I put the fasteners in. These were the left over from my neighbors project.

Got the car up high enough where I can reasonably work on it.

Also took the driver seat out, unplugged #2 O2 sensor and fed cable through for when I pull the exhaust pipe tomorrow. Removed the console and removed the shifter. Rebuilt it about 8 years ago and still in good condition. However the turret was empty as I suspected. Found it like that last time and greased it up real good before filling the turret. There must be a seal on the 5 speed but never found much info on it. Will have to do some research tonight.

Agent☣Orange
03-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Wow, you got that up good and high!

minuteman048
03-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the help today Mario and AO. The only snag were bell housing bolts that were incredibly tight. Both my electric impact wrenches would not break them loose. Thankfully I have a set of really long extensions and with my longest breaker bar I was able to break them all loose. Don't even attempt to use anything other than a 6 point socket and even with that I managed to damage one the 12 x 1.5 mm bolts. Unbelievably all the exhaust bolts came off easily.

Pulling out the trans once all the tougher access smaller bolts was pretty easy with the transmission jack and the car jacked up high enough to comfortably work on it.

Tomorrow the old clutch, flywheel, rear main seal and gasket comes out and is replaced. The trans tunnel gets cleaned, the trans gets clean and the input and output seals get replaced. Also my mid-pipe gets wrapped and the resonator that's directly under the gas tank gets insulated. We will see how far we get.

Mario took a lot of pictures so he will have post them.

Agent☣Orange
03-09-2020, 08:29 PM

minuteman048
03-09-2020, 08:41 PM

I guess AO took pictures too. Missed that one.

SmileyFace
03-09-2020, 10:34 PM
I truly enjoyed today all the hard work Bernie put in was awesome. What AO and I did was to keep Bernie pinned to the floor and working to remove all the bolts and pieces like the exhaust pipe the drive shaft and all the other things he had to remove and strap back to clear the way for dropping the transmission. AO and I would jump to Bernies order for wrenches, sockets, extentions and anything else he needed so he wouldn't have to stop crawl out and back in again when he needed anything.
I managed to take 116 photos and a short video(at the extraction of the transmission from the engine.
Here are the first four photos, starting form my arrival and finding Bernie hard at work:

I will post more tomorrow as I convert them from HEIC(iOS format) to JPG

Agent☣Orange
03-09-2020, 10:48 PM
I don’t know what you’re talking about. All I did was play Youtube on Bernie’s cool garage computer and make a food run but all that work he was doing looked pretty hard. Oh and I put a $1500 deposit on my new C8 that his credit card actually took it but that’s just between you and me.

Agent☣Orange
03-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Looking forward to re-installation day! Keep us posted.

minuteman048
03-10-2020, 06:18 PM
Today's update. Had a few setbacks where I lost time. Rear main seal gave me a little trouble removing it since I was extra cautious not to scratch the critical surfaces and used my whole arsenal of seal pullers. Was prepared to reseal the seal carrier but it showed no signs of leakage and the sealant was still pliable. So, I still subscribe to my Naval philosophy of, "If it's not broke, don't fix it".

The old clutch was surprisingly in great shape even with a 100,000 miles on it. Comes from not doing red neck burnouts or other Neanderthal abuses. However the pilot bearing was on its last legs. A lot of roughness in it and some play. It was time.

First setback:

Opened the boxes with the new clutch and flywheel and all the important literature was in Spanish. What the hell? Called Exedy and they answered on the first ring, transferred me to the technical assistance department, and emailed me the correct documents, in English, before I hung up the phone. Great customer service! He asked me where I bought it from and I told him Goodwin Racing in California. Said they were going to check that out.

Second setback:

Examining the new one piece flywheel I noticed it came with dowel pins you had to install in the flywheel. First time I had to do that so I checked Youtube and low and behold, a video from Exedy that answered all my questions.
Found you have to press in the dowels and what luck, I just happened to have a hydraulic press in the garage. Also pressed in the pilot bearing and it went really smooth. Pictures to follow once I upload them. Here it is:

Examining the new one piece flywheel I noticed it came with dowel pins you had to install in the flywheel. First time I had to do that Second setback:

Third setback.....Arrgh!:

Turned my attention to the transmission and started cleaning and degreasing it. Pulled the input and tail shaft seals and when replacing with new ones I found that Rock Auto once again sent me the wrong part. It was so loose it popped right out. Called a couple of auto parts stores and to keep the story short, O'Reilley's was the only one could get me one by 3:30 PM and it was made my National made in Japan. Awesome! Now an error I made was while installing the rear seal I found it had a vent hole in it and I assumed mine was in the wrong position. Confirmed this with Joe M. who is the Ayatollah of transmission tail shaft seals. Yes he confirmed that I got it wrong. Funny in my research this fact did not come up so I got one of those too from OReilley's Auto Parts.

Fourth setback:

I keep a clean shop and vacuum all the oily grit off the floor to keep it out of the house and off my clothes to keep Mrs. Minuteman happy as well as other messes. So what happens, my shop vac quits! Well lets see, I need some oil seals , a shop vac and a quart of the Ford fully synthetic manual transmission oil so off I go on a mini road trip to pick this stuff up. During this trip I almost got crushed by a fully laden dump truck. Some horses ass was constantly changing lanes in a futile attempt to get around the snowbirds on US 41. Now he is in the right lane ahead of the dump truck and slams on the brakes so he can make the turn into the Harbor Fright parking lot. The dump truck locked up his brakes and comes over in my lane which would result in me being pinned in between him and a semi. I hit the brakes and heard numerous cars slamming on their brakes. I managed to slow down faster than he did and cleared becoming a pancake. I'm also hearing cars slamming on their brakes and was waiting for that boom of being rear ended. Luckily that did not happen and also luckily I don't carry a gun in the truck. That person needed to die.

Well I got home safely, finished the transmission and its ready to install. Pressed in the dowels and pilot bearing on the flywheel and called it a day.

Will install the flywheel and pressure plate in the morning and make arrangements for back up to help me install the transmission. Still have some exhaust work to do so I will keep busy.

Have a nice day.

minuteman048
03-10-2020, 07:31 PM

My Japanese flywheel lock tool. Finally got to use it.

Rear main seal. Not leaking too bad and the carrier and oil pan seal is OK.

minuteman048
03-10-2020, 07:37 PM

Bell housing cleaned up.

Front bearing cover and oil seal.

Throw out bearing installed.

SmileyFace
03-10-2020, 09:22 PM
I truly enjoyed today all the hard work Bernie put in was awesome. What AO and I did was to keep Bernie pinned to the floor and working to remove all the bolts and pieces like the exhaust pipe the drive shaft and all the other things he had to remove and strap back to clear the way for dropping the transmission. AO and I would jump to Bernies order for wrenches, sockets, extentions and anything else he needed so he wouldn't have to stop crawl out and back in again when he needed anything.
I managed to take 116 photos and a short video(at the extraction of the transmission from the engine.
Here are the first four photos, starting form my arrival and finding Bernie hard at work:

I will post more tomorrow as I convert them from HEIC(iOS format) to JPG
Continue to add more photos of the disassembly, in preparation to remove the transmission,

With everything cleared, and all the bolts anchoring the transmission to the engine, Bernie put the trans jack under the belly of the trans and supported the weight. with the help of AO and myself (taking photos)

SmileyFace
03-10-2020, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KWAB8XdSNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlQpsyrxps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881WVmFVNRM

short MOV of the separation of the trans from the engine

minuteman048
03-11-2020, 04:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KWAB8XdSNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlQpsyrxps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881WVmFVNRM

short MOV of the separation of the trans from the engine

Staring Mr. Hand!

minuteman048
03-11-2020, 04:53 PM
Today's update:

Clutch and flywheel install went smooth.

Cleaned up power plant frame (PPF) and got all the crud off of it.

Finished cleaning up transmission.

Insulated resonator and heat wrapped mid- exhaust pipe.

Cleaned up and reorganized garage for tomorrow's install of transmission, PPF, new drive shaft, exhaust pipe, starter, shifter, and new slave cylinder

.............and then................ .Road Test!............. After gettingi it off jack stands.

Uploading photos tonight.

minuteman048
03-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Reloaded a couple of photos that gave me trouble:

My rear main crankshaft oil seal installation tool. Worth every penny.

Tail shaft seal installed.

Agent☣Orange
03-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Man, that must have been scary when that a**hole slammed his brakes on in front of a truck! I’d be totally in favor of him having his car crushed and loss of license for a year.

Great progress on everything here. I actually thought you wouldn’t be ready until Saturday.

SmileyFace
03-12-2020, 09:42 AM
Can't see, what you posted.
I'm sorry I couldn't be there for the re-assembly, but I'm having balance issues and the lose of feeling in my hands that require an MRI of my brain, I was scheduled for testing today, but all the MRI machines appointments are book until 3/18/20, so I need to be careful until the Neurologist checks the results.

minuteman048
03-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Don't know why the pictures don't post. Have to ask AO.

Got the transmission in solo this morning before 8:30. Went in so easy and AO was shocked I did it. PPF went in smoothly and starter was not too bad. Installed new slave cylinder and flushed out the system before bleeding it. Trouble came when we went to install the exhaust system Rock Auto struck again. Wrong gaskets for the mid-pipe but managed to get them from O'Reilleys Auto Parts. They are now 2 for 2. Decided to wait for new O2 sensor before finishing exhaust system installation and will also replace my rear
Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL FIX device as a predictive maintenance item since the exhaust pipe is out and the current one has been in there for a few years.

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage .com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html (http://www.bigdaddiesgarage .com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html)

SmileyFace
03-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Wow, you managed to re-install the transmission all by yourself, Bernie "Super Gearhead"

minuteman048
03-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Had to go into work today for a few hours, but when I got home I wrapped up a few miscellaneous jobs. Put console and drivers seat back after AO replaced my shifter yesterday. installed replacement rear O2 sensor fooler and hung midpipe. Forgot I had to order the gaskets from Roadster Sport since the flanges are different. Dressed up and cleaned up some hardware and made sure my slave cylinder hose is protected from chaffing.

Found another coolant leak on my lower radiator hose where it meets the block. Replacing worm gear hose clamp with T-bolt type. Had the same leak on the upper radiator hose at the radiator. T-bolt clamp solved that one.

minuteman048
03-13-2020, 04:56 PM
Wow, you managed to re-install the transmission all by yourself, Bernie "Super Gearhead"

It was easier than pulling it out.

Joe Morreale
03-14-2020, 09:52 AM
Good write up. Transmissions are funny. Sometimes they will fight you for what seems like hours or it snaps in like a socket on a ratchet. The last two I did, with a motor in the car, slid in, just like Chicago. I helped a friend with his NA and we had to take two breaks because it just wouldn't go in. I guess it all the correct angle and everything. Good find on the coolant leak. It probably would have caused you bad trouble, somewhere down the line.
So you're just waiting on gaskets to get back on the road? That would drive me nuts. I guess having a proper garage, where you can leave the car up on stands with no hassle helps a lot.

minuteman048
03-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Good write up. Transmissions are funny. Sometimes they will fight you for what seems like hours or it snaps in like a socket on a ratchet. The last two I did, with a motor in the car, slid in, just like Chicago. I helped a friend with his NA and we had to take two breaks because it just wouldn't go in. I guess it all the correct angle and everything. Good find on the coolant leak. It probably would have caused you bad trouble, somewhere down the line.
So you're just waiting on gaskets to get back on the road? That would drive me nuts. I guess having a proper garage, where you can leave the car up on stands with no hassle helps a lot.

Thanks Joe. Yeah I'm lucky I have a great garage, a set of tools I have collected over a life time, wrenching experience that goes back to 1973 working on farm tractors, and most important, some great friends to help me out. I promised my wife to put her in the credits since she is the one that actually put on the heat wrap on the exhaust pipe. She is better at it than I am since she is a registered nurse and wraps arms and legs everyday. She also helped me bleed the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder.

Yep, waiting for the correct gaskets for both ends of the midpipe which I had to ordered from Goodwin Racing. I did pay for premium shipping and hope to have them Monday or Tuesday. Also will be replacing #1 O2 sensor.

The car was jacked up high enough where you could actually work on it with some reason of comfort. The transmission jack was at its maximum height adjustment and I was able to manipulate transmission close enough to use the bolts to pull it in as smooth as silk by myself. I know AO was having anxiety attacks about helping me put it in.

minuteman048
03-14-2020, 06:01 PM
Forgot to add that I have a broken short stud on my exhaust header where the downpipe mates to it. Already have the replacements studs which I am replacing all three because the other two were a little rough. Two are already removed. Ordered a stud puller tool to remove it and will also be using penetrating fluid and heat if I have to. Last resort will be to have to pull the exhaust header for easier access to pull it. Since the car is down I'm fixing a lot of little stuff.

Joe Morreale
03-15-2020, 07:23 AM
If the header finds its self unusable, I got you covered.

Agent☣Orange
03-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Wasn’t the EDM or JDM header better? Or was it NB2 header was better? Can’t remember.

minuteman048
03-15-2020, 08:03 AM
It will come out, I have done worse.

minuteman048
03-15-2020, 02:20 PM
Wasnít the EDM or JDM header better? Or was it NB2 header was better? Canít remember.

NB2 Header.

minuteman048
03-15-2020, 02:28 PM

My rear O2 Fooler

minuteman048
03-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Got my stud remover tool and was confident that it remove the broken stud on the exhaust header.

Not. The tool just sheered the stud off flush. Damn! Had soaked it with penetrating fluid and even hit it with a little heat.

Plan B:

Removed the exhaust header and drilled it out gradually with larger and larger drill bits until I got close to the correct tap drill and used the 10 mm x 1.5 tap to get out what was left of the stud and refresh the studs.

Installed a new stud and called it an evening since I worked today. I also got the new O2 sensor and will try to get that installed tomorrow night after I get the exhaust header back in.

With all that out of the way it will be easy to upgrade the hose clamp on the lower radiator hose to engine block. Got that today too.

minuteman048
03-17-2020, 06:14 AM
Forgot to add that when I installed the 01-05 factory header over 10 years ago I used a lot of anti-seize. Al the bolts came off with ease which included the heat shield and cylinder head to manifold bolts. It was just that one manifold to down-pipe stud that gave me trouble.

Agent☣Orange
03-17-2020, 07:23 AM
I can’t believe how much trouble and extra days it cost for this one little stud! Looks like the finish line is in sight.

Joe Morreale
03-17-2020, 09:29 AM
Make sure you use high heat copper anti sieze. It's better for exhaust parts. What a pita you had to go through though. Glad you methodically nipped it in the bud. I know those studs on my car got buggered. The nut came off but wouldn't go back on. I was lucky enough that a pass with a die fixed mine.

minuteman048
03-17-2020, 12:05 PM
That's what I'm using.

minuteman048
03-17-2020, 07:58 PM
Today's progress was limited by my back. Got the new T-bolt clamp on the lower radiator hose by the block and got the exhaust header bolted up to the block. My back told me to stop before I got the EGR tube hooked up. Stay tuned.

Agent☣Orange
03-17-2020, 08:23 PM
Do you need some help Thursday?

minuteman048
03-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Will let you know.

minuteman048
03-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Got a lot done today but delays persist. Should have had the mid-pipe gaskets yesterday and when I went to check there was no record of the order! Arrgh! Yes I reordered.

Put the old ones on and started up the car. Yes they leak and will swap them out when the new ones get here. No funky sounds, no coolant leaks, and no codes so far. Put it in gear and the clutch engaged smoothly and the new drive shaft had no issues. She's ready to roll.

What I got done today was torqued down exhaust header, put on the heat shield, down pipe, cross brace, O2 sensor, engine brace, shock tower brace, and mid-pipe. Also put the two front tires back on. Cant wait to wrap this up.

According to Exedy, this clutch requires 500 to 700 miles for break in. Guess I will be taking the car to work once I get it back on the road.

minuteman048
03-19-2020, 08:06 PM
One fact I forgot to mention. When I started the car they said the heat wrap will smoke a while until it cures, Well it did so I will have to have the car outside when I run it.

minuteman048
03-20-2020, 07:21 AM
Yes this is taking forever to finish, but where am I going to go? This pandemic is giving me the time to take my time on the car and fix a lot of little things. For me its therapeutic.

I'm working every third day for a couple of hours so I'm fixing things around the house and doing a lot of yard work. Best of luck to everybody out there.

Agent☣Orange
03-20-2020, 08:10 AM
Like you said earlier, you’re taking your time on this one. Plus the weather is perfect for home and car projects while the world is topsy turvy right now.

minuteman048
03-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Done!! Got the exhaust gaskets in today and put them in this evening after work. Little condensation leak between the mid-pipe and muffler but I'm going to let it heat up and hopefully it will seal. I ordered four gaskets to allow a lot of compression of the gasket and torqued down on it tight.

Joe Morreale
03-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Glad to hear that you have it all finished. Now someday, in the future, you'll actually be able to go somewhere. Ask AO how we got mine off the jackstands one time. Hint, it involved bumping the starter while in gear. Not pretty.

Agent☣Orange
03-24-2020, 07:58 AM
Wow, it’s finally at an end! That was some upgrade and maintenance project!

Joe, don’t remind me, that was scary!

MM, you need some help getting it off the blocks? I can be there around noon.

minuteman048
03-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Can't right now. Got a contractor here I have to keep an eye on replacing my master bathroom dry wall before the new vanity gets here next week. Freaking water pipe break under my foundation was a major setback in my time and money. Maybe later after he leaves and would rather lower it with two guys with one guy on each jack.

clownheart
03-24-2020, 11:48 AM
That was a great writeup. Great job for all the people involved.

I am excited and anxious to start mine. I'm getting a lot of overtime because of the pandemonium that has swept the nation. Our director has restricted the department from requesting days off. The only exception are employees that are quarantined. I'll continue driving with this leaky seal until I find a comfortable opportunity.

minuteman048
03-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Epilogue:

Thanks to AO for helping me take my car off the jacks. What took me well over an hour took minutes and was much safer. We went for a test drive and the new clutch was awesome. The pedal grabbed right where I wanted it and the pedal effort was solid and about 20% more than stock as was advertised. Even though the flywheel weight was dropped to 12 lbs. there was no higher revs required to prevent stalling, but did feel the car revved faster. No other problems or leaks so I have to say this project was a success.

The only thing I have to deal with is waiting for the heat wrap to cure and it will smoke and smell for a while. When it turns white it should be cured. On the plus side it was warm today, had a half tank of gas, went on an 8 mile test drive and no gas fume odor. I think I got this one solved. Stay tuned.

The only thing I forgot to do before the test drive was to torque down the wheel lug nuts which we did when we got back. The lugs were still snug from mounting the wheels but now they are torqued to 85 ft. lbs. Now it will need a 500 to 700 mile break in period. We're done and then consumed a couple of beers. Mario, you were missed.

Agent☣Orange
03-24-2020, 08:05 PM

minuteman048
03-26-2020, 05:17 PM
Did a 40 mile round trip to a doctors office today and the car continues to run flawlessly. The only negative is I cant drive it aggressively until I get a couple hundred miles of break in time.

Joe Morreale
03-27-2020, 12:15 PM
You need to plan a full day of driving. It will get you a couple hundred miles into break-in. The mileage you drive it'll take two months before you break it in.
If you did the dawn patrol route, at slower speeds, without downshifting to slow, it would be a perfect break-in.

minuteman048
03-27-2020, 01:47 PM
You need to plan a full day of driving. It will get you a couple hundred miles into break-in. The mileage you drive it'll take two months before you break it in.
If you did the dawn patrol route, at slower speeds, without downshifting to slow, it would be a perfect break-in.

Sounds like an idea.

minuteman048
03-29-2020, 08:08 AM
Just got back from an early morning one man Dawn Patrol run and went 2/3 the route ending at Rt. 17 on Brownsville Rd. The car ran flawlessly and that whirring sound is now gone which I believe is the result of the new drive shaft. Was pretty sure the universals were worn. The smell of the heat wrap curing is still there but is diminishing. Only one issue arose which I will have to check out.

On the way back I hit the area where they had not finished the paving on Hwy 661 approaching where the pavement was new. You know where the difference in old and new pavement is about 1-2 inches. Well I hit it pretty hard and I have done this before not being happy about it, but immediately after I noticed a slight vibration which I will have to investigate. No shaking in the steering wheel but most likely in the drive line. Will jack the car back up tomorrow to do an inspection and re-torque critical components like the drive shaft bolts. Other than that the car ran great and I can't wait to open her up and get closer to the red line.

Any comments?

Joe Morreale
03-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Vibration could be wheel balance off after knocking a weight off when you hit the bump. Double check ppf. The rear bolts sometimes need retorquing.

Agent☣Orange
03-29-2020, 01:31 PM
It was a nice morning, perfect for a drive for sure. Sorry about the whack though. I would suspect a rear wheel weight more than any actual damage.

IhasMIATA?
03-29-2020, 11:08 PM
Vibration could be wheel balance off after knocking a weight off when you hit the bump. Double check ppf. The rear bolts sometimes need retorquing.

Agreed, I'd check the wheels, and see if any weights might have come off. And of course, do a bolt check.

But next time you drive it, see if you notice the vibration at a certain speed.

Dont know how many cars over had come in with vibration issues. All due to tire balance. Whether improperly balanced tired (cross balanced weight) and one coming off due to a harsh bump. Most tire shops/tech dont bother with road force balancing. So they'll counter balance, or stack weights to make it balance out.

minuteman048
03-30-2020, 05:52 AM
Agreed, I'd check the wheels, and see if any weights might have come off. And of course, do a bolt check.

But next time you drive it, see if you notice the vibration at a certain speed.

Dont know how many cars over had come in with vibration issues. All due to tire balance. Whether improperly balanced tired (cross balanced weight) and one coming off due to a harsh bump. Most tire shops/tech don't bother with road force balancing. So they'll counter balance, or stack weights to make it balance out.

Here is a little more detail. The drive I took Sunday was an extended test drive and I was in tune with the car listening intensely and seat of the pants monitoring. I have to say that the car ran like it was brand new. After that bump the vibration I felt would be hardly noticeable. Did not feel it through the steering wheel so I am ruling out the front wheels. The tires which I replaced a few months ago were Road Forced balanced by Neal at Stivers Automotive in Englewood who is a Suncoast Miatas member, drives and races a Spec Miata at Sebring, and he also did a Road Force alignment. This guy knows what he is doing. However I will still check the wheel weights even though when they separate you can hear them fly off. Neal has mounted and balanced my last three sets of tires.

Not working today so I will jack up the car and do an undercarriage inspection which will include checking the torque on the drive shaft bolts, power plant frame and transmission mounts. Would have done it yesterday but had agreed to do a bunch of honey-do projects for Mrs. Minuteman who was waiting for me when I got back. Had to oblige her since she is a healthcare worker (RN) and has been working her ass off and I am lucky to have her. It's probably nothing but since I put so much time and effort into doing the job right I am being a little anal about it. Will let you know what I find.

Joe Morreale
03-30-2020, 08:14 AM
I drove the Sebring leg of Dawn Patrol yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't take it easy and broke all the speed limits by more than double.I didn't see another vehicle. Usually on Sunday, those roads are full of motorcycles.

minuteman048
03-30-2020, 09:59 AM
I didn't see a car either. It would have been fun if I could have opened her up.

Just got the car off the jacks and everything was tight and to torque spec. No missing wheel weights, and no oil or coolant leaks. I am quite pleased and will keep an eye on how she runs. Like I said the vibration was hardly noticeable but definitely occurred after I hit that bump.

The only big stuff left for later this year are the frame rails and finishing the front end. That will include replacement Fat Cat bump stops front and rear which have been in there since 2012, tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and Mazda Speed upper and lower control arm bushings. I think I will make another Dawn Patrol run next Sunday.

Agent☣Orange
03-30-2020, 10:25 AM
This year is in fall or earlier?

minuteman048
03-30-2020, 11:21 AM
This year is in fall or earlier?
Frame rail spring, front end fall.