PDA

View Full Version : How to replace washer and bushing in 5 speed lower turret.

minuteman048
11-13-2016, 08:26 PM
http://5xracing.com/files/Instructions%20and%2 0Guides/nb-miata-shifter-rebuild-guide.pdf

2000SE contacted me yesterday with a question about a shifter rebuild. How to remove the lower bushing and washer in the turret under the dowel pins. Took me 24 hours to find the answer so here it is. You have to move one of the dowels. The question is how to do it do Volla!

minuteman048
11-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Test

2001SE
11-14-2016, 07:26 AM
http://gearheadsmiataclub.n et/vB/attachment.php?attac hmentid=1720&stc=1

Thanks Minuteman! As always you dig down into these things for the answer.

Before I saw this post, I assessed what I saw and my lower bushings and spring showed no sign of problems so I replaced everything else. Truth is, had I seen this post I would have balanced my confidence level against the condition of the springs and bushings, and done the same things. Botching up one of the pins would turn a fun afternoon project into a problem (If it works…. Don’t fix it!)

That said… the upper boot was fine but I replaced it anyway, the lower boot was in two pieces and the upper bushing was destroyed.

When I took it apart, I saw that there was oil in the turret which, to me, indicated that the rod was sealing properly where it passes through the shift rod tube. There is some controversy about the fluid to put in the turret. Some say use what you use in the tranny, some say use what you use in the diff and some just say, anything will be fine. As mine was not leaking, and I was not in fear of contamination, I use the fluid from the diff which would, I thought give a slightly stiffer result. A use my favorite Lucas “Red and Tacky” grease to reassembled everything.

As has been said by many before my, rebuilding even what seems like a normally operating shifter gives worthwhile results. So for about $100.00 including shipping from Moss, I am happy to have done it.

There is lots of help as always from the Gearhead Community. Shout out to Minuteman and YellowYata (who did a great write-up on this topic in the reference section).

2001SE
11-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Sorry about the double picture... things have changes a bit since I added pictures.
I will try to correct it.
TW

Agent☣Orange
11-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Good info MM and good job there Todd. I knew you could do it once you became familiar. It must shift like new now!

Jaysz28
11-15-2016, 05:29 PM
I just did this repair two weeks ago or so with a kit from 5xracing.

sadly, the car still grinds going into 5th gear.

Agent☣Orange
11-16-2016, 06:50 AM
Probaby a synchro problem, not the shifter.

Jaysz28
11-16-2016, 08:58 AM
I know it, but at least its only 5th gear......

2001SE
11-18-2016, 07:04 AM
I know it, but at least its only 5th gear......

Just wondering what kind of fluid you were using in the trans? I have been using the Motorcraft Full Synthetic, but yours might like something else.

I think there is some adjustment in where the clutch engages. Is it possible that its not fully dis-engaging when you push the pedal down? If I recall, there is a bolt and nut on the top of the clutch pedal lever where it meets the actuator rod to the cylinder. Have no idea if that might help or not.

Jaysz28
11-18-2016, 09:25 AM
I haven't changed the fluid in the trans yet. You are the second person to suggest changing the fluid to solve the issue though.

I don't think an adjustment is going to fix the issue. If it did it in all the gears, that would probably work though