PDA

View Full Version : Hard Cornering clink, clink cliknk

MollysDad
07-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Molly is a 2001 5 speed with a Torsen rear. When I make a hard, fast, 90 degree right hand turn I get a noise between a clink, clink, clink and clunk, clunk, clunk. Again, just on a hard RIGHT turn at accelerating speed. And you can hear it's the right side. Does NOT happen on left hand turn. And does NOT happen at just a fun Miata cornering speed. No vibrations, humming sounds etc. My mechanic says its posi-traction and not to worry about it. What do others think.

Joe Morreale
07-04-2016, 12:05 PM
I would make sure the diff is filled and or change to synthetic. Check bolts on ppf and the diff. 90 ft. lbs. torque. On mine the bolts loosened and I got a noise like a clink. It resulted in me breaking the little metal bushing in between ppf and diff. Just a thought.

Agent☣Orange
07-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Just my opinion but besides driveline, it could be suspension oriented too. Definitely check the diff fluid level and axles for play. Heck, since you're down there, change the diff fluid like Joe was saying. Hard to imagine the PPF coming loose but it did happen to Joe and Tristan.