PDA

View Full Version : Perpetual Oil Leak

pdexta
08-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I guess this is really just more of a complaining thread than anything. I was really just curious if I was the only one who's car was constantly leaking oil.

It's never a crazy leak, maybe 3-4 drips on the garage floor a week. When I crawl under the car it's like everything has oil on it, from the oil pan back to the tail of the tranny. I can wipe/spray/scrub/clean it down and a week later it looks exactly the same. I can't ever find a source as nothing really looks like it's leaking.

Any suggestions or tricks you guys know of to identify the source? I guess just clean it down real well and let it idle in the garage for 15 minutes could do it (so there's no wind spreading it out). I might pick up a valve cover gasket on the way home tonight, that certainly couldn't hurt since it's quick easy and cheap.

08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I vote for rear cam seal.

pdexta
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I'll let you know what it was if I ever do find it. I didn't realize the rear seal was an issue on NB's but looks like that could be the culprit.

Jester~
08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I was really just curious if I was the only one who's car was constantly leaking oil.
You are not the only one! Check this out.....ugggh

http://i1217.photobucket.co m/albums/dd384/estermiata/88645339.jpg

Hopefully with the 92 engine being refreshed, nothing will leak....fingers crossed...!

Joe Morreale
08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
It seems lately somethings been leaking somewhere, no matter what I do. First the rear trans seal, then an oil line on the valve cover, now I see a fresh spot. I took a bolt out of my rear cam cover, I hope that didn't cause an issue. I'm not leaking enough to have to add, just enough to spot the driveway.

minuteman048
08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
AH, I declared war on oil leaks last winter and up to this point I am still oil leak free. This is where I had oil leaks and where I corrected:

Rear Main Seal,
Transmission input shaft seal.
Transmission rear seal (I felt your pain Joe)
Oil presssure sending unit
Rear of valve cover gasket by camshaft
Crankshaft position sensor
Oil drain plug (replaced washer gasket)

Hope this helps

minuteman048
08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I was really just curious if I was the only one who's car was constantly leaking oil.
You are not the only one! Check this out.....ugggh

http://i1217.photobucket.co m/albums/dd384/estermiata/88645339.jpg

Hopefully with the 92 engine being refreshed, nothing will leak....fingers crossed...!Some of that might have come off of me last Sunday! :rotf

Joe Morreale
08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Minuteman, I think you soaked up all the oil either in your hair or on your shirt, from the pic I saw.

IhasMIATA?
08-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Yea oil leaks suck!
There's this dye that I picked up at advance that helps you detect where its coming from. A few members in here reffed it to me, and it worked pretty well.

You add it to the oil, let the car run for a few, then go under with a uv light and look for where its glowing green. That's how I found out my front main seal, vc gasket, and oil pressure sender were all leaking.

TwoKings
01-21-2012, 09:19 AM
I had a front valve cover gasket leak and it ran all the way down to the front of front of the oil pan. I also had one at the back of the valve cover and it would run down the trans (made me think I was leaking from the fill plug). Lastly, your rear main seal can be another one to check. If they leak a little bit, they will drip out of the drain hole there and get all over shit. I would suspect something else though if you are getting oil on the oil pan.