PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replace a rear wheel bearing?

minuteman048
08-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Think I have a bad rear wheel bearing. Procedure looks to be a bear and you need a press.

minuteman048
08-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Repeat

WolfTDI
08-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Here is a procedure to replace it without a press if you have a slide hammer: http://www.miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/how-replace-your-rear-wheel-bearings-without-press-56506/

I haven't done it on a Miata yet, but the procedure is the same for many cars. I have a friend in Sarasota that would surely lend you his shop space to do the swap (he has a press along with a lift and many other tools). Or you can always remove the hub, take it to a machine shop and they will swap the bearing for a nominal charge.

If you are stubborn like me, the swap can be done with a bench vise, a threaded rod, and various large sockets, washers, and nuts.

minuteman048
08-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Wow, what a great write up. Feel I going to have to replace at least the right rear, but would prefer to replace both sides for peace of mind. Getting the car ready for Boone is like training for the Miata Olympics. Dawn Patrol is local and under an hour. Up there you are diving hard a couple of hours at day.

Great pictures is what it is all about on the procedure.

minuteman048
08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
This job is not for the faint of heart. Can get a slide hammer or puller, but will also need a torque wrench that goes up to 169-216 ft. Lbs. for the axle nut. Mine only goes to 150 ft. Lbs.

WolfTDI
08-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I would not be too concerned with getting that axle nut torque exact. You can use your wrench to get to 150, then use a breaker bar to give it a little more. 169-216 is a pretty broad range. In fact, you can torque to 120, then see how much more it turns to get to 150, then use the breaker bar to go the proportionate distance.

minuteman048
08-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Has anyone actually done this job? Also been reading all the things that can go wrong. If the hub does not come off the axle even with a slide hammer then you have to pull the axles out of the diff and use a press anyway.

Agent☣Orange
08-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Not I. Makes me a little worried but if you do end up doing it yourself, let me know so I can come get some experience.

WolfTDI
08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
If you can pull the hub off the car, a machine shop can press out that bearing and press a new one in in about five minutes. It will probably cost you about $30. Call a few shops and get a quote.

Agent☣Orange
08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I bet that shop down in Punta Gorda would do it.

I learned after the fact that Pep Boys and others will swap out springs from struts/shocks pretty fast and cheaply too. That's great if you're working alone and don't want to waste an hour per shock compressing springs.

Thumper 13
08-19-2013, 06:08 PM
After removing the old bearing the best method to rebuild is using the freezer and oven make this job much easier and no galling . Most quality race hubs are built using the heat/freeze technique....also... ...very important DO NOT FORGET TO PACK THE BEARING WITH THE APPROPRIATE GREASE.

There is a big difference between race grease and daily use grease. Race grease is not great for the ability to resist water but can handle extremely high temps. D.D. grease is great with water resistance but can't handle the temps and side loads seen during just 20 minute track sessions.

Jim Blaisdell of Halfmen Racing,and member of the Tampa club builds some of the best quality race bearings seen in Spec Miata and ST L Miata. He always uses the freeze/heat method to build his setups. He is getting an order for a set with ARP extended studs from me next week.

Thumper 13
08-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Has anyone actually done this job? Also been reading all the things that can go wrong. If the hub does not come off the axle even with a slide hammer then you have to pull the axles out of the diff and use a press anyway.

Sorry I just saw this thread,we done several of these jobs. Even with some fairly old axle/hubs we've just used a REALLY BIG BFH and punch. Never needed a slide hammer but i can see where it would make life easier and avoid some prolific profanity when you hit your hand by accident ( ask me how I know )