PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Noise

Procket
03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a high pitch noise coming from my clutch. When I depress the pedal just a little less then a 1/2 inch sound stops.
Now I replaced the entire clutch assembly 1000 miles ago. Including the slave cylinder. Before the install made the same sound. After new parts it stopped just started again. :frustrated
Now my clutch fluid is already very dark. When doing my coilovers I checked the slave I was able to push the piston in on the slave. I'm thinking that's the problem. Also never replaced the master. Fluid level is unchanged.
Any suggestions? :dunno

IhasMIATA?
03-30-2011, 10:47 PM
What kind of high pitch noise? Can you compare it to anything?

And according to something I've read, the clutch fluid usually turns dark pretty quickly, so thats not out of the normal.

throw out bearing maybe?

Joe Morreale
03-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Yes it does sound like a throw out bearing. The dark fluid, slave issue would only give you a mushy pedal if air got in, not noise.

Procket
03-31-2011, 07:24 AM
Sorry I'm sure it's the Throwout bearing making the noise.
The pedal is softer than it was.
Quick ? Should I be able to push the piston of the slave cylinder in by hand. I would think if it was working right I couldn't move it by hand.

minuteman048
03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Replaced my clutch last summer primarily because the throwout bearing was making a lot of noise. Everything is new except for the master cylinder. Just recently upon startups I hear a faint similar noise and just tap the clutch and it goes away. After driving I don't notice it anymore and it's gone. Im not worried at this point.

Did you go aftermarket or stock slave cylinder? I remember reading on these forums the stock one is the way to go. The aftermarket ones don't hold up.

IhasMIATA?
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm using a stock clutch slave, with a after market clutch disc/pressure plate I got from pdexta. And to "bench bleed" it before installation I was able to compress it with my hand, but it resisted a good bit. How easy are you able to compress it with your hand?

Procket
03-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm using a stock clutch slave, with a after market clutch disc/pressure plate I got from pdexta. And to "bench bleed" it before installation I was able to compress it with my hand, but it resisted a good bit. How easy are you able to compress it with your hand?Seemed pretty easy to move. I might just bleed it to see what happens. Just don't like having a squeaky car.
That might help with the shifting as well that seems to be harder as well.

IhasMIATA?
03-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Possibly, let us know. I'm down to help pull the trans for that one little bastard of a bearing.

pdexta
04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes it does sound like a throw out bearing. The dark fluid, slave issue would only give you a mushy pedal if air got in, not noise.I agree. If it's making noise it's probably not something related to the slave/fluid. Throwout bearing was my first thought as well, unfortunately.

Procket
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I guess I'm not going to worry to much. It is brand new. If I have to pull it apart again it's getting a new light weight fly wheel.