Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cracked door handle

Post Thanks / Like

Cracked door handle

Somehow I managed to crack my exterior door handle on my British Racing Green 01. I can't justify spending over a hundred bucks for base, clear, activator and thinner for such a small item.

I was thinking about using a shake and shoot system. I was looking at Express Paint, on the web. Their custom mixed AV3 base coat is $25 for 11 oz. The single stage clear is $11. The company guarantees color match, BTW.

They also have an aerosol powered catalyzed two part clear system for $33. My car has exceptional paint with extra clear. Do you think this will work, matching correctly? Should I spring the extra money for the two stage clear?

Treasure Coast doesn't have one in my color, so I probably need to start from gray prime, which is what I did with the rest of the car. Of course being who I am, I will take it apart and try to super glue it from the back side, which I'm sure will look like ass, but I have to try.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cracked door handle

I've ordered a similar, two-part, rattle-can kit for my Soul's side mirrors. The paint match was dead on and the single-stage clear was more than enough. Of course surface prep is key along with a good primer but the real secret to a nice finish is a little wet sanding in between coats.

Also, try to paint inside, out of the humidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31F1F317-BEAD-4A7B-8215-8685265BA3FE.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	4741

3. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cracked door handle

I looked up the ERA paint kit, as it was complete and a good value. Unfortunately they don't list my color. I'll most likely get the one I mentioned.
    On another note. I'll be going to Treasure Coast Miata to pick up a door handle just before father's y. I'm going to Jupiter to visit. If anyone needs any small parts, let me know and I'll get them.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

5. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post