Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Covid Pet Peeves - Rebellion against "the new normal"

Post Thanks / Like

Covid Pet Peeves - Rebellion against "the new normal"

I'm curious what "new normal" or "for your safety" items have become your biggest covid per peeves. Anyone care to share what's driving you nuts?

By far my 2 biggest complaints are bathrooms and water fountains being closed "for your safery". These are 2 absolutely necessary things for our very existence. Forcibly removing access to clean drinking water or restrooms and claiming it's for safety is 100% incomprehensible to me.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

2. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Covid Pet Peeves - Rebellion against "the new normal"

I'm not part of the political anti-mask crowd but every place I go to requires a mask and it seems like half the people in the store aren't wearing one. I mean, I'm fully vaccinated with a card to prove it and I follow safe practices but I feel like I can't remove my mask. C'mon Publix and Walmart....either masks are 100% required according to your signs or they're 100% not required.

And if you're not disinfecting the card-payment terminals after every customer or the handles to the milk or pizza fridges, let's just drop the mask thing altogether.

The water fountain thing gets me too. Lowes, where I go to a lot, has an ice-cold drinking fountain right outside the bathroom that's part of my routine. Not anymore. Probably the most irritating thing for me is the closed seating or every-third seat thing. Yeah, yeah, I know it's to maintain distance. Hey Walmart, if employees and customers should wash their hands, your bathroom faucets need to flow water just like at home, not the ridiculous 5-second little piddle stream.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like masks, but they're not the end of the world to me. If everyone has one on, I'll put mine on. If 10% of the people in a store don't have them, then I'll take mine off and join the rebels.

I've never been confronted about it, but I'll gladly put mine back on if someone ever gets worked up about it.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I forgot a couple:

At Walmart, you can only enter on one side of the store and exit at the other. Also, the shopping cart handles are dripping with some antivirus chemical that stinks like Malathion or something. Probably causes cancer, heh heh.

I don't want to get used to anything that is the "new normal." I want to go back to the old normal and not hear covid ever again. I'll follow the rules and do what's best for society but can't wait 'til it's over.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think we’ll ever get back to the old normal. Probably my biggest peeve is, if a store has a mask mandate, why do they continue to serve customers who refuse to wear one? I mean, if you go into Publix without a shirt, they’ll tell you to leave.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I swear the mask BS is more about what people feel is right

walmart/publix/target require a mask to go in, but as stated above they don't/won't tell anyone to mask up or leave. They don't want the confrontation.

If you chose to not wear a mask, great. That is your choice. If a business requires you to wear a mask, great. That is their choice. However, you have another choice - to shop somewhere else! This is where the disconnect begins. People feel that their rights are being taken away and they are really not. They just don't want to shop somewhere else. It isn't that hard to do.

and I am not a pro or anti mask. I say do what makes *you* feel comfortable. I have to wear a mask when I am at work at the hospital - I work 16 hr shifts - I tend to not want to wear one when I am not at work.

When I go racing - the race track requires everyone to mask up. Do I like it? No. Do I want to go racing? Yes, so I wear the mask.

I am concerned that this is the new normal - and not necessarily the mask but all the BS that goes with it. I think that Covid will not be going away - too many new variants for the vaccine to keep up. It will become like the flu, just a lot deadlier and society will just become used to the death rate. No different than the regular flu, car accidents, global warming, diabetes and obesity.

8. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said. Scott too. I hate wearing a mask but I will because it's no big deal and because everywhere I go that's not my house is private property. I guess I'm still incredulous how a mask has become a flashpoint in our idiocracy.

10. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post