Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: After months starting car

Post Thanks / Like

After months starting car

My car has been under cover for the last few months. I'm going to need a new battery for sure. I'm want to at least start it and warm up. I have a 180 thermostat and my cooling fan to come on at195. I'm thinking I should change the fan settings to 205, so the oil will get hot enough to boil off any condensation. Does this sound reasonable? I was also going to crank it, with the coils disconnected until I have oil pressure. Need opinions on that as well.

I looks like it will be towards the end of the month until I can make it legal again. Should I put all the above business on hold until I'm ready to drive it?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: After months starting car

I wouldn't let it sit so long without running the motor. My car has been on stands for a while now and I still run the motor every month. Not only do you have to run it up to temp but as you indicated about moisture, let it run for another 20 minutes or so. It's pretty rainy and overcast today but on the next low-humidity day, I'd run it right away. For me, it's not so much about moisture in the oil as much as it is not letting seals dry up. Also, letting gas sit too long without using it up is why I keep having problems with some of my lawn equipment.

For my car, I pour Sta-Bil in the tank and run the motor. I also have a battery maintainer and my battery is still excellent after two years of non use. It seems like once they're allowed to go completely dead, they're never the same.

3. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The battery is 5 years old. It was getting weaker when I parked it. I've got stabil in the gas. I ran the car for 20 miles or so with it in it.
    I'm going to turn up the fans and let it run warm for a while then.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it the plate is expired? Can you sneak a couple of laps around the block? It is absolutely perfect Miata weather today.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the plate and insurance from the Miata on the Nissan. I'm too convinced that I'd get caught if I put a bad tag on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the tag office and made the Frog legal! Of course I hurt the hell out of my back and don't even know if I can get in it. Zoom zoom tomorrow.

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Good feeling, huh? The tag, not your back.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! Congrats Joe, I know there are some curves out there waiting for you!
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Got a new Duracell today. Cranked her with the pedal to the floor, until I had oil pressure and it started and idled right away. Had to let a bunch of air out of the tires, as I stored it with 45 lbs. in them. Let it run until the fans cycled once and had a kick ass ride out on crewsville. Because it's in full boost it I'm still amazed how fast it accelerates from 90 to 120. I have to hold it back.

11. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really great, man! I bet that was exhilarating. I miss little fun runs given the year we just had. I was supposed to have a VA appointment in St Pete so I was looking forward to cruising over the Skyway but they changed it to Cape Coral, dammit.