Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  67
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast

Thread: It's really just a big miata

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's really just a big miata

My megasquirt arrived this afternoon and I got the car running on it. It started up just like stock and it was running a touch lean. I added way too much fuel to it but it seems to be running good.

I'm hoping to get the tune dialed in this week and I'll try to get some virtual dyno logs. In Fort Myers, I had like 10 good straight flat roads that I felt comfortable datalogging pulls on. Now I can't think of one single flat straight road in Knoxville, should be interesting. Even I75 is crooked here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210329_211421.jpg  
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

well that should prove challenging

but hills can help populate other map cells to help dial in the 'auto tune' portion

Post Thanks / Like

I think the tuning part will be fine, it's just trying to get accurate virtual dyno numbers that will be tough. I feel like it'll read 300hp down hill and 100hp up hill, I guess I can always take the average, lol.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Are 3rd gear pulls worth anything? You have to be able to find a quarter mile of straight.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

I think 3rd gear will be fine, gearing is a good bit taller than a miata and it's not like I'm trying to get any official numbers, just curious to see what it's making. I actually found a spot that will work driving around today. It's not a place you want to hang out too long, but it's nice and flat with no intersecting traffic for .4 mi.

The car felt like it was breaking up a touch up top today. I swapped out spark plugs, but it didn't make a difference. The datalogs look like the MAP (manifold air pressure) values are jumping around a lot as well. I'm trying to convince myself it just looks that way because of the higher resolution when tuning an N/A car (my fuel/spark maps are scaled 30-110kpa vs 30-250kpa). I'm holding out hope it clears up with some more tuning, but I'm not too optimistic.

I took a bouncy MAP screenshot so you can see what I'm looking at. After 5500rpms MAP goes from pretty straight to pretty jiggly, but so does AFR (air/fuel ratio), that gives me some hope it will clear up. It's taking me a little bit to figure out how megasquirt is handling vtec and that's tripped me up a little. The 2 cam profiles are on different fuel/spark maps. I'm realizing now I eventually need to set vtec really high and tune the low cam, then set vtec really low and tune the high cam, figure out where power crosses and set that as my vtec engagement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bouncymap.png  
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

6. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy smokes! I'd need to be a rocket surgeon to do any of that!

Post Thanks / Like

Those map and afr graphs are as shaky as a drunken sailor's hands after a bad weekend. You're a ms guru, you'll figure it out. Have to before fi.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

I got a chance to read up on a shaky map reading and it sounds pretty common. There are filters that smooth it, but I may try another vacuum port first. The car is running great, just chasing little stuff; air intake temp correction map wasnt aggressive enough, and it was oscillating at a high idle briefly but I wasnt logging at the time. Hopefully the weekend gives me some decent weather for tuning.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

10. Likes Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First attempt at the map filter failed.

Napa: You need help?
    Me: I need a little filter that goes in a vacuum line.
    Napa: What year?
    Me: Its a universal part, that didn't come stock on the vehicle.
    Napa: What year is the car?
    Me: It wont pull up like that because it didnt come on the car.
    Napa: So it's not a part for a vehicle then?
    Me: I'll check somewhere else, thanks.

I'm going to try another manifold port first and if that doesn't help it seems like I'll be ordering it online.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha! You'd be a better choice to run a NAPA than anyone there.