Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2015 Corvette Z06 grenades engine at 891 miles

Post Thanks / Like

2015 Corvette Z06 grenades engine at 891 miles

Source: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-2...234536392.html

All of those reports about power being down on early examples of the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 due to the ongoing break-in process (with full power to come just a few hundred miles down the road) aside, there are worse things that can happen with a new supercar engine. For example, they can lunch themselves with just 891 miles on the odometer.

Today we mourn the first known 2015 Z06 engine to die.

MUST SEE: 2015 Corvette Stingray PDR Camera Captures Valet Hitting 50 MPH In Parking Garage: VIdeo

As reported by the gang over at Corvette Forum, the owner, known to the forum as Lawdogg, was out putting miles on the car to get it properly broken in before a track event scheduled for January 10-11, 2015, at Road Atlanta. Making a pull from 35 mph, the owner says “I shifted short of redline and boom — the car began knocking. I pulled over and popped the hood. I could hear a loud knock coming from the No. 6 cylinder area along with a serious, grinding, metal-on-metal sound coming from the supercharger area.”

In other words, the engine is toast, a fact confirmed by the dealer, which noted a failure in the No. 6 cylinder valvetrain. That’s as far as the dealer got, however, as the engine is being sent back to General Motors for factory-level analysis of the failure.

Right now, it’s not clear what caused the failure, but in a brand new engine with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer, there are only a couple of major possibilities: a manufacturing defect in this particular engine; or a driver error on the upshift (accidentally shifting to first instead of third during the pull, etc.).

Whatever the cause, the outcome is clear: this Z06 needs a new engine. Fortunately, it’s covered under warranty, and will be in the car shortly. For more details, be sure to visit the article at Corvette Forum as well as the original thread.

The first 2015 Z06 engine is dead; long live the (next) 2015 Z06 engine.

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Z06 down

No big deal. I remember the 24hrs at Daytona ( first year of the new Vette in DP ) when Wayne Taylors Suntrust Vette make 3 laps before retiring from terminal mechanical gremlins.

I would buy a new Zed 06 in a Heartbeat ( yup I said it ) and not give it a second thought, assuming they are running at the end of the 24 AND if I had a much fatter wallet.

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Update

No friggin way will I be owning a ZED 06.................. ....YIKES,I just got 3 wholesale quotes and my wallet suffered a heart attack.

Post Thanks / Like

Corvette's sure a sweet ride. The past few years it has gone up in price enough to put it in the exotic car range. Personally I think it's still the best overall exotic sports car for the money. I believe it has a reliability history that will prove to be true with this model despite the OP's reported incident.

The closest I'll ever get to one is maybe pulling somebody out of it while it's crashed on the wall upside down. Did a "build" on their site. $88,640 MSRP. With my Miata as trade in the payments would be only $1304 a month plus insurance. If I take up robbing liquor stores for a hobby I might be able to afford it.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Not enough liquor stores in your area.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching Joe's post this morning ( thank you Joe ) I am now down to 2 choices 1)the S2K ,2) in a distant second because or maintenance costs is a Porsche Cayman.

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Corvette Z06 grenades engine at 891 miles

I thought you were thinking of a used C6 Z06, not a brand new C7. Just a quick search shows one for $25K: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...88887109&Log=0

The rest of my search: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ear=2005&Log=0

I'm on the Corvette forum too and have been reading stories from early C7 adopters. There definitely exists a problem with some new C7 engines grenading themselves early and these are just the LT1 motors, not the supercharged Z06 version. It's not epidemic but it is happening. One pitfall of a brand new design I suppose but the LT1 is just a direct-injected evolution of the venerable LS3.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 13 View Post
    No big deal. I remember the 24hrs at Daytona ( first year of the new Vette in DP ) when Wayne Taylors Suntrust Vette make 3 laps before retiring from terminal mechanical gremlins.

I would buy a new Zed 06 in a Heartbeat ( yup I said it ) and not give it a second thought, assuming they are running at the end of the 24 AND if I had a much fatter wallet.
    I was watching that race and shocked that after all the development, testing and fanfare the engine suffered a major failure.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Corvette Z06 grenades engine at 891 miles

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    I thought you were thinking of a used C6 Z06, not a brand new C7. Just a quick search shows one for $25K: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...88887109&Log=0
    Yup, saw that. The mileage isn't where I want to be. That's a major waiting in the wings. Too expensive to rebuild, now maybe if it was 18K to 20K max and even that is on the edge.

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    I was watching that race and shocked that after all the development, testing and fanfare the engine suffered a major failure.
    Imagine how Wayne felt and the Chevy engineers that had to come to him with answers............. that's a million dollar entry program. Suntrust was none too happy about that one !!! Part of the reason they kept bringing the Cameras into the garage, at least Suntrust got some air time. You'll notice you didn't see Suntrust on Taylor's cars again.