Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 949 Racing extended length hydraulic stainless steel clutch line

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

949 Racing extended length hydraulic stainless steel clutch line

Bought this after reading some information on stainless steel hydraulic clutch line replacement. Making that lower connection by the bell housing is a pain I experienced doing Jesters car last summer. The coiled hardline and bracket also make it difficult to pull the transmission. What solved a lot of problems was using the 949 Racing extended version which connects normally to the upper hardline connection but connects directly to the slave cylinder bypassing the lower hardline.

Standard clutch line replaces the OEM rubber hose that runs from the firewall to the coiled hard line near the starter.
    Race Extended clutch line is longer and also replaces the coiled hard line on the bell housing. It does not replace the hard line from the master cylinder.
    The Race line has several benefits over a standard replacement length.
    - Makes pulling the engine or trans much easier
    - Gives much more to work near the starter
    - By deleting the coiled hard line, bleeding the slave cylinder is made much easier.

Here's the link:

http://949racing.com/miata-clutch-line.aspx

Discussions that convinced me:

That is the one that you want for several reasons. The connection of the lower hard line to the flexible hose at the firewall can be very difficult to remove. I ended up cutting the line to get it off. It also removes one connection in the system that might leak in the future. I also think it makes it easier to bleed the system since it is a straight downward path. The coils in the lower hard line must tend to trap air bubbles. For me, it was one of the best investments I have made in the car.

Jessidog

I just bought the one from 949Racing, got the long one for the same reasons jessidog stated. It also doesn't get in the way like the lower hard line does when you have to pull the tranny for clutch work. Just unbolt the slave cylinder and move it out of the way. That pesky bracket at the bellhousing tends to get itself caught between tranny and engine when replacing the tranny.

Wonder why it wasn't designed like that from the get-go?

Dragonfighter

The longer SS clutch line is, by far, a superior upgrade. It provides a more consistent pedal because there is less variation in the line... (hardline-softline-hardline) becomes (hardline-SSline)...and less chance for joint failure because you eliminate one of the line junctures. As an added bonus, once you are rid of those stupid coils in the OEM lines, bleeding is vastly easier. Just open the lower bleeder valve and let gravity work.

99TwilightBlueMica

Any thoughts?

Last edited by minuteman048; 09-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 949 Racing extended length hydraulic stainless steel clutch line

Pedal definitely seemed a bit stiffer, installation was super easy.. And it cleared up that area.. Twisted hardline etc.
    And yes it cleares up alot of space when working around the starter.

It's deff on my shopping list to get(again)

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed a new master, slave, and long braided stainless kit from 5xRacing. It was a piece of cake. I had no trouble with the hard line/soft line interface. I gave the wrench a sharp wrap and it broke loose just fine. I don't know it that is typical or if I just got lucky, but it took about 30 minutes to swap everything out, and that includes pulling the hard line off the car and flushing it. The kit was $70 from 5xRacing and it even included fluid.
    Jeff

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you got lucky. Doing Jesters was a real pita and I fiddled with it for an hour before I got it. Sooner or later I will be pulling the engine to replace it or overhaul it. Those testimonies and the logic of one less connection does it for me. I see Ihasmiata concurs.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Original Gearhead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deff worth it

And installation was the same for me, right after I got it in the mail. My clutch slaw went out.

Only weird thing with mine, was I had to "bench bleed" the slave off the car after I installed the line. (yea while everything was connected to rest the clutch system)

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

How does the hydraulic fluid even know that it's flowing through a pipe or a hose (as long as that hose isn't all messed up and swelling under pressure) ?
    Answer, it doesn't.

I wonder if the same "it feels better" responses would come from those who just replace their 20 year old hoses with new OEM ones ?

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my favorite mods. I didn't notice any difference in pedal feel (it could have been there and I'm just oblivious), but that stupid coiled line is a huge pet peeve for me and is a nightmare to work around. This stainless line really cleans things up and makes pulling the slave, tranny, motor, passenger motor mount, and starter so much easier. Not to mention that it eliminates that rubber line as a point of failure.
    Last edited by pdexta; 09-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Scott
    2001 Honda S2000 ♦ 6sp
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for it to show up. I not so interested in the so called clutch feel, but to get rid of that lower hard line which makes it difficult to work around that area. Plus it's one less connection. I with Pdexta on this one.