Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Any thoughts on seam/stitch welding?

🐵 Grease monkey 75+
    Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts on seam/stitch welding?

I'm on the cheap/broke side, and believe you can't have too much chassis stiffening. Has the other plus of not adding too much weight, which is the reason I've been holding out on buying any bracing until I upgrade my suspension.
    Found these diagrams on flying miata:
    http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seamweld.php
    Has anybody around here done this? Just checking to see if it's worth the effort. My dad has a TIG and I believe a MIG so next time I'm in Lake Placid for a visit I may give this a go.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any thoughts on seam/stitch welding?

Looks like a job you can do if you pull the engine or gut the interior. Otherwise to me not worth the effort. My car handles just fine,but I wil add some extra aftermarket bracing since I own a 99 without any factory bracing.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    KIA Soul
    Post Thanks / Like

Stitch welding is quite an involved process. I've never done a Miata but I helped a friend with a 280Z once but I couldn't tell a difference. I suppose because a Miata is a convertible with a floppy mid section, welding would make sense and I know it's been popular with the racing teams.

Stitch welding still won't provide the stiffness you'd get with a roll bar, door bars or cage but if you've got a welder and time, like you said, it doesn't add weight. I wish I could have an NA to strip down completely and do the weld everywhere before putting the motor and interior back in.

🐵 Grease monkey 75+
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if i follow through I'll prob just do the A and B beams, door braces, and footwell/trans tunnel. Looking into it further because ppl seem to have mixed results. A roll bar and door bars are in my future, just going to be a ways down the road. And the way work is now I get 3-5 day weekends so could be an interesting project if i get the balls to take a welder to my car lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I bought slowly all those braces :)

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post

Stitch welding still won't provide the stiffness you'd get with a roll bar, door bars
    Willing to place a wager on that ?
    I have 2 NA's to test the theory is you like.

Properly done stitch welding will add more stiffness to a unibody than any amount of so called bolt in braces which are band aids at best (not including a proper cage here).
    You will gain rigidity for little weight gain but the draw backs are, less effective crumple zones in case of a collision (shouldn't matter to a race car) and a higher chance of corrosion behind the welds (again, not an issue on a race car with no carpets and trim).