PDA

View Full Version : Raceland coilover questions

Joe Morreale
09-14-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm in need of shocks for my car. I have an extremely limited budget, but don't want to buy something that's going to break on me. Has anybody had experience with Raceland coilovers on a daily driver? The other forums slam them as junk. I was looking for objective opinions. I can't afford 1K for shocks. I'm not sure what other options I have. Glad to hear from anybody.

Tristan75
09-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Sorry Joe, I can't help you with that... but I think I did read a post in the past on CR.net regarding Raceland coilovers.

Joe Morreale
09-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah. The CR bunch pretty much slams them as cheap junk. I was looking to see if anybody here has had them and what they thought, or any budget alternatives with a coilover systems.

White Knight
09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I can't help you either Joe, but I also need shocks I just haven't done any research on them yet.

minuteman048
09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Know a guy personally from the Miami group (TEM) that has them and is not happy with them, If I was you,I would price a set of stock shocks. They will make the car ride as good as it used to and I will even help you install them. There was nothing really wrong with the stock set up and handles great right out from the factory. Your shocks are shot and a new set will make it ride like new. Price them from Rosenthal's.

pdexta
09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I've been very happy with mine. When I first got them I set the car very very low and they seemed bouncy. Once I raised them back up, still low, but to a more reasonable height they seem to perform up to my expectations. I'm sure they wouldn't compare with a top of the line $2000+ suspension setup, but for the money they perform exceptionally well, in my opinion at least. Of course they aren't adjustable but the ride is certainly more firm than stock but still very reasonable for a daily driver.

Joe Morreale
09-15-2011, 06:26 AM
If I decided to go with just a shock replacement, what do you think of these?
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0194.html
They have a lifetime warranty and are cheaper than oem.

TwoKings
09-15-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm in need of shocks for my car. I have an extremely limited budget, but don't want to buy something that's going to break on me. Has anybody had experience with Raceland coilovers on a daily driver? The other forums slam them as junk. I was looking for objective opinions. I can't afford 1K for shocks. I'm not sure what other options I have. Glad to hear from anybody.if you are looking for a shock that will last, then the riceland isn't for you. You can read about that plenty on CR.

pdexta
09-15-2011, 08:24 AM
if you are looking for a shock that will last, then the riceland isn't for you. You can read about that plenty on CR.Haven't had a problem with mine in the 2 years (25k miles) they've been on. :dunno

minuteman048
09-15-2011, 08:52 AM
If I decided to go with just a shock replacement, what do you think of these?
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0194.html
They have a lifetime warranty and are cheaper than oem.Koni is top of the line stuff. I think you can't go wrong here. I would buy these.

IhasMIATA?
09-15-2011, 11:27 AM
I've got racelands as well, for the price they're pretty good. And have done they're job.. Mine are kinda hard, because I'm sitting on the bump stop. But when they were a little taller they felt fine to me.

I hear alot of hit or miss stories about them.

TwoKings
09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
if you are looking for a shock that will last, then the riceland isn't for you. You can read about that plenty on CR.Haven't had a problem with mine in the 2 years (25k miles) they've been on. :dunno 25k is pretty low life expectancy for a shock. I would hope you expect at least 50k-60k miles of regular daily use. with that said, I have heard of ricelands going at as little as 30-35k miles. Either way, you can read quite a bit about riceland in this CR thread:
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=395 09

With all that crap said, (as wannafbody said...)you can pick up a set of used Bilsteins for less money. Way better in every way I can think of.

Joe Morreale
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM
All things considered I think I'm going to get the Konis and keep my car stock height. I have a hitch that hits a lot now. If I went lower it would be a problem, plus the lifetime warranty is attractive.

minuteman048
09-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Great, when are we installing them?! :woohoo

Joe Morreale
09-16-2011, 05:13 AM
I' m getting home from Jupiter on the 18th. I'll be ordering them then. As soon as they come in I'll be ready to install. I'll need to do it at your place, especially since I need your help. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive.

minuteman048
09-16-2011, 06:05 AM
I' m getting home from Jupiter on the 18th. I'll be ordering them then. As soon as they come in I'll be ready to install. I'll need to do it at your place, especially since I need your help. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive.We can do it at Jacks since he lives so much closer and Im sure he would be happy to offer his garage. Of course if you would rather do it at my garage, that's OK but Im not as well equiped as he is. No air tools.

Jester~
09-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I'll help you install them too.

Joe Morreale
09-19-2011, 05:18 AM
I ordered the shocks yesterday. They should be in in about a week. I'll try and set up an install day a Saturday after Sebring.

Joe Morreale
09-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Do you think I should order new rubber dust covers for my new shocks? I'm not sure of the condition of mine and they are ten years old.

Jester~
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
If I remember correctly, two of mine were unsalvageable...and I did not have new ones to replace them with. Not sure what the longterm effect of not having them will be, but if they are cheap, you may want to get some...you could always return them if not needed/wanted.

What kind of shocks did you go with?

Joe Morreale
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I got the Koni STR's. The boots are about $15 each. I'll try to scrape up some change for new ones.

minuteman048
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Did not opt to replace boots with my bilsteins. I thnk if you want to show them off to a degree, its easier to clean the shocks without them. Just my 2 cents.

Procket
09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I have sleeves if you want them. They are power flex. I ordered them when I put my konis on and took them off when I put the ground controls on. You are welcome to them cheap. $20 for all four. I only had them on for a 1000 miles.

Which Konis did you go with?

Joe Morreale
09-20-2011, 05:20 AM
I already ordered the covers, but thanks. The Konis I ordered are the str model. (yellow).

Joe Morreale
09-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I got my shocks today. They are the orange not yellow ones. There is a prolem with the paint on one of them. It flakes off with your finger. I contacted the seller,(I got them offf Ebay) and I'm insisting on a replacement shock. I don't want it to rust out. I'll keep you posted how it is resolved.

minuteman048
09-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I got my shocks today. They are the orange not yellow ones. There is a prolem with the paint on one of them. It flakes off with your finger. I contacted the seller,(I got them offf Ebay) and I'm insisting on a replacement shock. I don't want it to rust out. I'll keep you posted how it is resolved.Are these from a reliable seller? Paint issue make me wonder what these really are?

Joe Morreale
09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure he's a reliable seller. He has a lot of positive feedback. He said send him the shock and he will replace it. They came in Koni boxes, but the bad one had been opened, leaving me to believe somebody knew there was a problem. I'm fighting with him as to who will pay the shipping. He wants me to pay to ship it to him and I think I'm stuck doing that.

Joe Morreale
10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Installed the shocks today. Couldn't have done it without the help of Bernie, Jason, Jack and Dennis. Todd stopped by with his 2001 SE as well. The rears were sitting high but they seemed to have settled down some. The ride home everything was nice and tight. I can't wait to push it a little to see if I can really feel the difference.

minuteman048
10-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Did your check engine light go out after comparing the vacuum lines with Jack's car??

Joe Morreale
10-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I haven't cleared the code yet. The suspension has about 125 miles on it . It doesn't look like Waldo's jacked up Mustang anymore. Sitting pretty level. In this picture my bike was on the rack.

http://i1229.photobucket.co m/albums/ee476/joemorreale/DSC03535.jpg

minuteman048
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Glad to see it leveled out. Looks good and glad yours had no complications. One of the more smoother installs. Now we still have to do White Knights. All I have to say is, "Koni or Bilstein"?

We should have taken pictures!

Joe Morreale
10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
If it comes to cost the Konis were $80. ea. I haven't seen Bilsteins for anything less than $95. Not to be bias but, if your just replacing with an aftermarket I though the Konis were a good deal. Remember the problems you had with ride heighth with the Bilsteins. After doing this I would recommend buying all new rubber parts, including bumpstops as well. Figure another $200 min. Boots,$12. ea, Bumpstops $18. ea. (aftermarket), plus all the little rubber dodads $40?. Don;t forget to get new upper balljoint boots as well. $9 ea from Rosenthal.

minuteman048
10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Obie Wan has taught you well. I glad it all worked out and was able to save you some bucks on the rubber parts although most of yours were in pretty good shape.

White Knight
10-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I haven't cleared the code yet. The suspension has about 125 miles on it . It doesn't look like Waldo's jacked up Mustang anymore. Sitting pretty level. In this picture my bike was on the rack.

http://i1229.photobucket.co m/albums/ee476/joemorreale/DSC03535.jpgLooks good Joe! The back levelled out nicely! :woohoo

Tristan75
10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
congrats Joe!! looking good =)