Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tan Leather Seat Restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Tan Leather Seat Restoration

As you can see by the picture of the cracked and worn bolster and the cracks in the seat leather my seats are not in the best shape. I am going to attempt, along with a friend who has worked with this product before, to restore them to better than new condition

I have picture of the products involved. The basic procedure is: you first remove the dye, which prevents you from conditioning you leather properly. This is done with the purple chemical and 600 grit sand paper. Need to use lots of towels and wipe clean frequently.

After the natural leather is exposed liberally coat the seats with leather conditioner. It will soak right in. You must keep them wet for 24 hours then clean with cleaning product.

Now it's time to work on the cracks. Use a toothpick for small cracks or a business card for large ones. Do not let this product dry on the top of the leather finish, only in the crack. After several coats, 20 minutes apart, you should have all holes filled. Back to sanding. Use 600 then 1000 to level the filler. There will be quite a bit along the bolster area and I will lose some of the grain.

Application of the dye is next. You can wipe it with a rag, use artist brushes or spray. I am choosing to spray. A 25% reduction should be adequate. Product must be agitated a lot so no pigment settles. Spray a light mist. Wait 20-30 minutes and repeat. 3-4 coats should give you a nice heavy color coat.

Now comes the patience part. You should wait 3 days for the dye to dry completely. When you are sure it's dry once again liberally coat the seats with the leather rejuvinator (like an oil, but water soluble) Let rejuvenator sit for a couple days in heat and clean with solution. Buff to satin finish.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tan Leather Seat Restoration

Continued:

With the original hard dye removed the leather now has a chance to have open pores and accept conditioners. It will be more like the leather in a Ferrari. You should condition them every couple months

One of the pluses about doing this procedure is that when the inevitable bolter wear starts all you have to do is take you remaining dye and dab it on the bad spot and it will disappear.

In order to get an exact color match I sent a 1''x1'' piece of vinyl that I cut from a donor seat. They guarantee color. I won;t be able to start this for the next couple weeks, but will post pics of progress, whether good or bad.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

This'll be good to watch...

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

If this works out I think you found a market.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Tan Leather Seat Restoration

Very cool! Can't wait to see the pics of the actual process and the results!

I don't have leather in my Miata, but my wife's expedition is showing signs of wear on the drivers leather seat, so I would like to try to repair that. My only question: can you sit in the seat (with a towel over it or something) while the dye dries for the 3 days? We can't go 3 days without use of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale
    I am going to attempt, along with a friend who has worked with this product before, to restore them to better than new condition - - "I have picture of the products involved."
    Joe that sounds great, hope it works good...!

looking at the picture you posted, what kind of coverage are you expecting to
    get out of what is showed

I'm guess that is more than enuff for what you want to do ? (maybe, yes/no)

so my question is, what did those 'chemicals' cost ?

sounds like a good alternative to "new leather" (spot work) :)
    "a simple car, a simple life..."

Post Thanks / Like

The kit. Enough chemical to redo two seats is $85. Custom color charge was $30. The crack filler was $18.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to tackle the whole seat or just the cracked area?

Post Thanks / Like

The whole seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Screwed the seats to saw horses. Scrubbed them down real hard with simple green and a brush. I found out simple green will take off you dye if you scrub it. Oiled seats with rejuvinator oil. They have to sit in the oil conditioning for two days before I can go to the next step of stripping and filling.