Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Love bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Love bugs

We all have to deal with them. Saturday, I went for a spirited ride, for about an hour. The bugs were 1/2" thick on my bumper. There was no bug removal spray in any store. I heard on the news that they use simple green on their fleet vans. I also read that hydrogen peroxide eats the bugs. So naturally I mixed the two together. It worked pretty good. It did frost my headlights though. The simple green strips the wax too. Post how you get rid of these nasty things.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Love bugs

Get the used dryer sheets from your wife and some warm soapy water. Hose off what you can than wash with the dryer sheets. Takes them right off and you get stuff for free from wifey. No used one? New ones work too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	love bugs.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	3554
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-15-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

🤯 Lugnut 10+
    Post Thanks / Like

minuteman48 has the hot set up. Miata and Mazda6 not terrible, but the van...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Hard to imagine that kind of insect problem. Around here all we got is the Cicata boom every 7 years. (We get them every year, but every 7 years is a boom) They are as big as your thumb, but mostly stay up in the trees and "sing", but the racket they make is deafening. When the breeding frenzy is over they'll drop to the ground, spent and stunned. If you happen to kick one while walking around it will spring to life and start flyin' around incoherently. I would imagine that if someone ran into one while on a motorcycle it would likely leave a bruise.

The other day I moved my Dodge out of the garage in order to extract my extension ladder from the rafters so I could clean the gutters. The car was out for ~25 to 30 minutes. When I finished with the gutters there was TWO splats of bird poo on it! And I had just freshly washed it too. I'm just glad that I don't have to scrape a half inch thick mat of lovebug goo off of it after every drive.
    Jerry Layman
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to wash them off within 24 hours or it will eat your paint. They show up twice a year for a couple of weeks in May and September. Some yeras are worse than ever. This is a bad year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	love bugs.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	3555
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-15-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

6. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was pleased to learn there are no Love Bugs in Tennessee. Needless to say, I've been enjoying the videos people are sharing online! Looks like a crazy year, at least they don't last too long.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

They say it's one of the worse years ever. Just about gone now, good riddance.