Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Vintage Lotus Super 7

Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Lotus Super 7

I went to the track last weekend. My friend John is the crew chief of a vintage Lotus Super 7. He built the car from scraps. It has an upgraded 1.5 liter Ford block with the Lotus head. Sporting 2 double draft Webers for guys like MM. 1150 lbs. and 200hp it's not extremely fast but keeps up with Porsches of it's era. He races HSR and SVRA for wheel to wheel racing.

2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vintage Lotus Super 7

2 Double Draft Webers were equal to the best way to tweak 200 + HP out of a 1.5 Litre 4 banger without robbing power from the engine. The equivalent today is to install larger fuel injectors and tweak the ECU with a radical tune. Joe your photo show a beautiful excellently built Lotus Super 7. It is to bad that we can't get a retro fitted 1.8 -2.0 Mazda Miata engine with mechanical fuel system just like this Lotus 7. I can imagine an NB or NC Miata with 2 Double Draft Webers easily producing 225-250 HP. Now before anyone jumps down my throat I know that it is possible to get the same results with larger fuel injectors and a larger throttle body and a special intake manifold to deliver higher volume air equally to each combustion chamber.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a sweet sounding car. It'll run 7,000 rpm down the straight.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, and no ECU. It would survive a electromagnetic pulse.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

The wrong person, with a screwdriver, could raise hell in seconds, forget about electromagnetic pulses. Just a quick little twist of those screws, on the Weber's.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    The wrong person, with a screwdriver, could raise hell in seconds, forget about electromagnetic pulses. Just a quick little twist of those screws, on the Weber's.
    You have that Megasquirt and don't fear it, but Im comfortable with a multiple carbs and have done them. My MGB had dual Strombergs and had no trouble setting them up.

Remember Ed China brought in a multi-carb expert to set up a 6 2-bbl carb set up on a Lamborghini they got from Poland. Watched him do it and I said I could do this. All you need is the tools. Guys like me still have value.

Sill have all my dads tools and can still set a dual point distributor with a tach and dwell meter. Most of today's mechanics would not have a clue.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-04-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement