Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Dead Miata Troubleshooting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP! Dead Miata Troubleshooting

Thanks Jay, that's awesome, I'll let you know how things go. I feel like with a new regulator it'll be back on the road pretty quick. I've got a friend that drove his C8 Corvette to Houston to have it tuned and he's supposed to be coming back on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get it running properly and get it up to Tallahassee, then catch a ride back with him.

Minuteman loves to give me shit all the time... much like he banned Boris for doing to him... but every one of us has a fuel pressure regulator on their car. I'd be willing to bet most of them are not manufactured by what is probably the world leader in high quality fuel delivery products with less than 20k miles on them. It's a mechanical device and it's possible for them to fail. All I can do is replace it and move on, but suddenly I'm reminded why I stopped updating my build thread.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

2. Thanks kung fu jesus thanked for this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Thanks Jay, that's awesome, I'll let you know how things go. I feel like with a new regulator it'll be back on the road pretty quick. I've got a friend that drove his C8 Corvette to Houston to have it tuned and he's supposed to be coming back on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get it running properly and get it up to Tallahassee, then catch a ride back with him.

Minuteman loves to give me shit all the time... much like he banned Boris for doing to him... but every one of us has a fuel pressure regulator on their car. I'd be willing to bet most of them are not manufactured by what is probably the world leader in high quality fuel delivery products with less than 20k miles on them. It's a mechanical device and it's possible for them to fail. All I can do is replace it and move on, but suddenly I'm reminded why I stopped updating my build thread.
    What the heck? I made an honest offer to help you out and you took offense at my post? It was more for humor and I can't believe your response! What's up? You yourself said you had the worst luck.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 03-06-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

It's fine, you just always have to take a stab at me for doing the wrong mods, or using inferior parts, or my car is going to catch fire, or whatever. It's the same thing you were doing on my build thread when I started "Disliking this post" and you got upset a while back. Which is why I stopped posting my issues and what I'm doing to fix them, it's just the occasional bland update now none of the technical and challenging stuff.

I'm not upset or anything, people are welcome to their opinions, but I'm going to at least call you on it. Especially after you seem to take it so personally when people do the same thing to you.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

5. Likes kung fu jesus liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not my intention. I invite people to call me out if I offended them. The thought was you had this problem and just last week your throw out bearing went. After you mentioned your bad luck I thought I would just take a jab at you especially after Jerry L's flamethrower comment.

Had a disagreement with whiprsnpr and we worked it. I making a public apology and my offer to help you out still stands. Hate to have you leave in a bad way. I always talk to other clubs about your car and your builds. You are far beyond my capability on tunes and turbos. Hope I can make it up to you.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Don't stop on technical and difficult issues. Some of us try to soak it in.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

8. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really not upset or anything, I plan to still be around the site. I hate to overpromise anything, but if all goes through with this house we should have a couple extra rooms if anyone is up for MATG they'll be welcome to.

The throw out bearing was squeeking for a bit, it was just something I wanted to take care if before hitting the road for a 800 mile trip. The fpr was by all accounts a pretty freak occurrence, but I guess it does happen from time to time.

Hopefully it'll be solid for the drive. If not I've got some contingency plans in place and I'll try to make the best of it.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott

Don't stress about getting the cars to Tennessee. I have a truck/trailer and can easily haul them there for you. Or Bernie can use my trailer to haul one and I'll haul the other awhile later.

Take care of the family/job situation. That is way more important.

11. Likes minuteman048 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the fpr take care of all your issues?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it will. I ordered a new one, paid for overnight shipping, then it has all different size fittings from my last FPR. So now I've had to order 3 separate fittings online since nobody stocks them locally and I couldn't find a single company that stocked all 3 I needed (10AN to 5/16, 10AN plug, 6an to 5/16). The first one arrived yesterday, hoping the next 2 will follow shortly. I'm anxious to get it back on the road and make sure all that fuel didn't cause any other issues.

I've pretty much accepted that I'm going to have to ship the car at this point. I'd love to save some money by driving it up, but with a couple missed opportunities to get it on the road already and 2 other cars I have to drive up I'm just not sure it's in the cards. Hopefully she'll be back on the road this weekend.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got all my parts and got the car running. It was running really rough initially, then cleared up but was still running obnoxiously rich. I've had to mess with the tune and now it's running much better. I'm still not too excited about trying to drive it 800 miles, so we're working on getting it scheduled to be towed to our new house.

I ran it initially for about 5 minutes and when I drained the oil it smelled like straight gas and was super watery. I decided to fill with cheap conventional oil and swapped in a cheap filter, ran for another 5 minutes or so and changed the oil again for synthetic. Hopefully that cleaned out enough of the gas that it'll be ok. Glad to finally have the thing back on the road, even though it seems like I'm going to have to start fresh with a new tune, ugh.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

15. Likes Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 liked this post