Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Most Dangerous Cars to Drive

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

5 Most Dangerous Cars to Drive

The only one on this list performance wise that most of us can afford to drive is the MR2. Pretty shocking! When it lets go it lets go without warning. At least my MX5 lets me know I am approaching my limits.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 Most Dangerous Cars to Drive

This morning, my home-health aide told me her wheel was making a loud racket while on her way to her mother’s house. Turns out, her wheel was only attached by two loose lug nuts. Being ever helpful, her mother volunteered lug nuts from her own car.

Now there are two dangerous cars on the road.

All “fixed.”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA00BB57-5000-4D86-A424-A6FA5A765B27.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	3436

Post Thanks / Like

^ Freaking yikes! Don't toyotas wheels use shank lug nuts usually? Meaning, those are so completely wrong for the wheels. I would walk to the nearest autoparts store to buy lug nuts for the car.

The blazer caught me by surprise, I would have thought they were reasonably safe. Also surprised the Corvair didn't make the list, I thought it was the quintessential example of an "unsafe car". I could have volunteered an AP1 S2000 for the list, they're probably not on MR2 level, but they can certainly be a handful.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    ^ Freaking yikes! Don't toyotas wheels use shank lug nuts usually? Meaning, those are so completely wrong for the wheels. I would walk to the nearest autoparts store to buy lug nuts for the car.

The blazer caught me by surprise, I would have thought they were reasonably safe. Also surprised the Corvair didn't make the list, I thought it was the quintessential example of an "unsafe car". I could have volunteered an AP1 S2000 for the list, they're probably not on MR2 level, but they can certainly be a handful.

I remember the blazer of that vintage being a problem. Their center of gravity was too high and they would flip over easiy. The 4wd were not a problem because of the extra weight of the front drive axles low to the ground compensated for it and lowered the center of gravity. The Corvair was not on that list because that car is over 55 years old and the guy who made that video would not know what it was if he saw one.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

5. Likes pdexta liked this post
    ⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    This morning, my home-health aide told me her wheel was making a loud racket while on her way to her mother’s house. Turns out, her wheel was only attached by two loose lug nuts.
    In the future, just steal one lug nut from each wheel so they are the correct style.

did you check to see if the rest of the wheels were tight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    In the future, just steal one lug nut from each wheel so they are the correct style.

^This^ was this first thing I thought of when I read that. This actually happened to me about 35 or 40 years ago with my 1972 Pinto. (Maybe more?) I had aluminum slotted wheels that must not have been properly torqued and was making quite a racket when some of the lugs backed off far enough to allow the wheel to slop around. I was smart enough to stop and investigate and was able to noodle out what the deal was, tighten up the ones still there and borrowed a lug from another wheel until all were tight again.

Surprised that the Pinto didn't make the list either. Lots of folks gave me the business about driving a rolling bomb. It was a fun car tho. A bit underpowered, but as us Miata pilots have found out, it's much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I found an old pic of it. That's me on the left. My sister and brother beside me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layman11.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	3438
    Last edited by Jerry L; 01-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Jerry Layman
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT

8. Likes minuteman048 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

For the same reason, Pintos are approaching 50 years old and most younger people don't remember them. I believe the early Mustangs had the same problem.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
    I didn’t physically check but she said she tightened everything with a lug wrench. You only see one wheel in the picture but actually, all her wheels are missing lug nuts. She’s a good person but the type that will drive a car until it dies, whether the wheels literally fall off or the engine is starved for oil. She also delivers pizza at night.

I tried to explain the importance of car maintenance, especially with her livelyhood depending on it, torque, lug nut seat angle, tire pressure etc. but it became more of a mansplainin’ session. She did say she priced lug nuts at Autozone for $2 each but that would have to wait until later, despite her buying a $350 video game system last week. Not my place to get into that with her so I just cringe and keep quiet.

Besides, I don’t want any liability from touching her car because there’s probably ten other things that are about to go catastrophically wrong.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there’s anyone here who doesn’t know who Ralph Nader is.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I wonder if thereís anyone here who doesnít know who Ralph Nader is.
    Just checked. Yeah he is still alive at age 84.