Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Moving

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of Moving

Scott, I did what you're thinking when I moved from MI to NC. It worked for a while. ;)

If it's just tailpipe, not a big deal. In the county I live in north of Atlanta, they do rolling road tailpipe testing on OBD1 cars 25 years and newer, OBD2 cars are plugged-in, no tailpipe check.

I've had the car-moving dilemma before too. The aforementioned MI>NC move, I put together a string of friends and acquaintances who handed the car (my turbo NA) off to one another to get it where I could go take it. It changed hands four times over about 8 days, and it only cost me 3 tanks of fuel. I picked it up at an acquaintance's home near Ashville. Everyone was good to car, and loved driving it, so ~$60 versus $700 was pretty good. If you trust me, I would be happy to field the car here in Atlanta. I could get it to Chattanooga, no problem. Just find somebody heading this way up I-75.

Something else to think about regarding your cars...I put an extra $1k over my original selling price on the cars we brought back from CA because they were from there. It was a great selling point and no one batted an eye when they saw the title history. Might be the same for FL cars in E.TN?
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 01-11-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind. My parents are in Tallahassee which is almost halfway to Knoxville from Fort Myers, I'm planning to make use of them as much as possible. I think having a rest point along the way should greatly simplify things and they're willing to store a few items during the process.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

3. Likes kung fu jesus liked this post
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a number good Miata-specialty repair shops here in Atlanta too, if you need to make adjustments for it to get up there.

Post Thanks / Like

The logistics involved with moving out of state would make my brain explode. Seriously. The last time we moved, back in 2002, it was like less than five miles away from the old house and it seemed like we had to make a hundred trips with what seemed like a fully loaded 25 foot U-Haul truck. I know the key is to severely down size before hand, and we did actually take one fully loaded truck straight to the dump, but it took weeks before we had everything out of the old place.

I'd love to move somewhere warm for my retirement years, but the thought of moving again shrinks me like a spider on a hot stove. I fantasize about moving to Arizona every year when I go there to visit my sister, but soon after I get back home reality hits and I realize that it will never happen. Never. Ever. Happen. Nope, the next move I make will be into a jar in a closet somewhere.

Good luck!
    Jerry Layman
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT

Post Thanks / Like

Haha Jerry, that's how I've felt until recently. It's super intimidating for sure, I dont know how some people seem to move every couple years.

I think we're taking it past the point of no return now. We've started throwing out a ton of stuff and we rehomed a ton of coral and 5 fish yesterday in an effort to take down our fish tanks. Seems like it's go time!
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Made the big move from NJ to FL when I was 46 years old. Could not even conceive doing it now. Had lots of help loading trucks but now that group are at the age with chronically bad backs, knees and hips.

Jerry, the only way I would make that move is to sell everything and just take personal items. Don't know if you were going to buy another home or rent, but if you rent you could rent a furnished home. One you are in a warm climate you will wonder why you did not do it sooner. Visited my son in Spokane WA two years ago in December. When we got there it was in the 20's-30's. Not bad, but two days later it dropped to 5 below. Was not use to that anymore and scraping windshields and waiting 20 minutes for the truck to warm up was something I did not want to deal with. Had to rehash my winter driving skills. Good thing for heated seats.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of Moving

Moving like this is no small feat, but when you can downplay the intimidation of it, it really isnít so bad. There are about 4 - 5 weeks of mild chaos, but it really isnít so bad.

The planning is key, but being able to stick to the schedule is probably to most exhausting part. 1000 miles from FL to TN is a two or three day trip. The physical moving part is just labor.

When my wife took a transfer from LA to Raleigh, I moved us in a 26í truck while towing my car. My wife followed me in her car. 2400 miles in 5 days.

I have no qualms moving if it means we can live better. I am still working out the idea of living/moving abroad.

A few weeks of hassle for an improved quality of life is a small price to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh noo! We're going to lose our resident turbo expert. I moved from Naples to Sebring 7 years ago. 20 years worth of junk. I threw so much stuff away, some of which I wish I didn't.
    Unless you're sure of your employment location, I'm an advocate to rent for a year, with stuff in storage. This gives you mobility if the job sucks.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Brrrrr!

I bet there are people up north who would give anything to have a house in Ft. Meyers.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are debating moving to that area as well. My folks keep us here for the time being.

If you need help, I can tow a trailer up that way for you. I even have an open car trailer if that helps at all. You can always rent a U-haul and/or Penske truck/trailer to double the cargo capacity. I am usually available to travel during the week. Just need enough notice first.

I recommend finding a job first, or at the very least going to a few job interviews to get an idea what the going pay rate is in that area.

I have moved across country more than once. I will never move couches again. Same for mattresses. Just budget and buy new once you get there. They are bulky and difficult to move. Lawn equipment is another thing to sell and just buy used once you are settled.

I have seen people pay over $100 a month for storage for a year or more..... on items not worth the value of the cost of storage. I was guilty of that at one point.

12. Likes minuteman048 liked this post